Q: Trustworthy Source For Genuine Gillette Razor Blades ?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

diyer

Q: Trustworthy Source For Genuine Gillette Razor Blades ?

Post by diyer »

Does anyone know who is a trustworthy source of genuine first quality Gillette Fusion Razor blades?

As I searching for the best online price for the Fusion blade refills, I came across some posts that claimed counterfeit razor blades are being sold. I think its mostly an online issue but I'm not sure whether the fake blades are also being sold thru retail stores [unknowingly], ergo, if this is something that is rampant. According to what I read ebay is the worst offender for fake blades. A Gillette customer service rep told me they do not have an ebay account or any authorized sales representatives on ebay.

Regarding Amazon and Walmart, who are both authorized sellers of Gillette products, some of the reviews claim that Amazon is selling counterfeit blades too [probably unknowingly]. My guess is, if that is happening then it is most likely the third party Amazon sellers who are doing it. But I wasnt able to determine who those sellers are because the reviews are written about the product, and they blame Amazon either way. I imagine that Amazon itself also purchases blades directly from Gillette to sell to its customers, but I dont know that for certain. If Amazon doesn't purchases their blades from Gillette, then of course the question is where is Amazon's suppliers getting their blades from. Concerning fake blades from Walmart, I havent read any of Walmart's product reviews for Gillette blades.

There is one other theory that members-buyers on some forums have suggested, and that is that some of the blades are not counterfeits at all, but that many of their blades dont meet Gillette's standards anymore, often because they are made in Asia. They didnt say why that was, whether it was something that just wasnt made well in Asia, or if it just happened to be where the counterfeits are being produced. I called Gillette about all of this and their customer service rep was very tight lipped about it, seemed almost embarrassed, but they acknowledged that fake blades are being made. But they didnt comment on whether some of their own genuine blades are not meeting their standards.

They told me their blades are made in various countries now, including the usa. I asked them where the usa made ones are being made and all I was told was that the original factory was in Massachusetts, and that it was still operational. However, I dont know if any of the packaging states where they were made. Other than that, all they would say is to look under "where to buy" on their website. Well, I went to Gillette.com and I dont even see a "where to buy" link anymore (maybe its my browser). But, I wonder if that is due to there being fakes, Gillette has not sorted out all the facts they need, or they dont have a plan to deal with potential liability claims. Under the law I cannot imagine Gillette being liable for fake Gillette blades, but they could still be inundated from such claims anyway. So, if Gillette doesnt know where all these fake blades are, then it would be wise not to have a "where to buy," at least until they solve the problem.

Btw, there are some web addresses that show how to spot a fake blade, but those fakes look darn good to me and I dont feel like spending an inordinate amount of time analyzing razor blades. It was enough having to spend the time writing this query out.
Last edited by diyer on Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
"When you have both a secret government and an open government -- you have a secret government."
liveaboard

Re: Q: Trustworthy Source For Genuine Gillette Razor Blades ?

Post by liveaboard »

I don't even buy Gillette from the supermarket here anymore.
They're so bad, I concluded that they have to be fakes, or else Gillette has gone downhill so far it makes no difference.

Usually, big retail is careful about their supply chain. If you want genuine products, you'll need to go to a retailer with a reputation worth more than the product, and even then you can't be sure someone hasn't done a fast one.

I used to live in India, and counterfeit products was the norm. fake medicine, fake batteries, fake car parts, cigarettes, booze, it was terrible.
But I learned that some are made so well, there's no difference. Others look good but don't work.
I don't smoke or drink, but my friends that did told me about those products.

Once the supply chain is compromised, it's hopeless. Those products could well be on American shelves by now.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

I haven't bought any Gillette products since they decided to insult men in their advertising with their woke nonsense. I use some no-name disposable razors I get at Dollar General for about 60 percent of Gillette's price. They give me close, comfortable shaves.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I have gone back to a safety razor with cheap blades that I throw away. $25 got me a year's worth of blades...so it is in the Alfred E Newman range of concern.

Good blades from Europe are available and seem to almost be worth the $.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I don't shave. Ever. Not a problem.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Unless you get your beard caught in a piece of rotating equipment.

I just looked and my throw away safety razor blades are made by Gillette.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Bill Shields wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:08 pm Unless you get your beard caught in a piece of rotating equipment.
Ouch!
Fortunately, I keep it short (scissors).
The last time my face saw a razor was back in '64.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
RSG

Post by RSG »

Harold_V wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:11 am [
The last time my face saw a razor was back in '64.

H
:shock: a year before I was born.... :lol:

I stop shaving Sept 1st and shave it off May 31st. It's all about fishing and hunting....nothing beats a nice full beard outdoors.
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

will you still need me -> will you still feed me -> when I'm sixty-four?
rmac

Post by rmac »

Harold wrote: The last time my face saw a razor was back in '64.
Let's see. 1964 was about 57 years ago, which translates to roughly 21000 days (metric or imperial :D ). If it takes 15 minutes to shave, that means you freed up about 5200 hours for building induction furnaces and making soft jaws. Well done!

-- Russell Mac
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Harold_V wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:04 pm I don't shave. Ever. Not a problem.

Can you tie knots in your beard? :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:17 pm
Harold_V wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:04 pm I don't shave. Ever. Not a problem.

Can you tie knots in your beard? :D
Curly hair. That's automatic. :wink:

H