Q: Trustworthy Source For Genuine Gillette Razor Blades ?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Bob D.

Re: Q: Trustworthy Source For Genuine Gillette Razor Blades ?w

Post by Bob D. »

Now we know where Cousin Itt has been hanging out…..
Could always hammer forge a straight razor from a railroad spike and save money. Course that will be offset by bandaid expenditures….
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Purinton Mogul "Pogo"
3/4" Hall Class 10 wheeler
3/4" Evans Caribou/Buffalo 2-8-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0
3/4" Kozo A3. Delayed construction project

1 1/2" A5 Camelback 0-4-0
SteveM

Re: Q: Trustworthy Source For Genuine Gillette Razor Blades ?

Post by SteveM »

Grew my current beard in 1987. Only shave a bit above and below.

Inherited an early 1960's Gillette safety razor from my great uncle. Just had it on display in its box until one day I saw an ad with the guy from Pawn Stars hawking a razor using double-edge blades, saying you don't need five blades (hint - you don't).

Started using it and was very happy, but the price and availability of blades in local stores was not great.

Did some research and found Feather blades. Highest-rated double edge blade on Amazon. Wife ordered me a pack of 50 for $20 and accidentally ordered two. That was probably 4-5 or more years ago, and I still haven't run out. Probably not even half way thru them.
https://www.amazon.com/FEATHER-Hi-Stain ... 00301APUQ/

Steve
diyer

Post by diyer »

Well, those feathers look great but I dont have the safety razor for them, so thats moot. I have a straight razor but I'm too paranoid about using it; watched too many mafia movies. I have the fusion ball flex head and the original blades last a long time for me [over a year] "if" I use them daily, otherwise it pulls the hair too much. So I dont use it as much anymore. I shave with a hair clipper to knock it down and then sometimes follow up with the razor if I have the time, otherwise it stays at a low stubble length. Maybe I will go back to the Mach 3, it was just as good as the fusion and the blades are less expensive.
"When you have both a secret government and an open government -- you have a secret government."
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

Forget Gillette razor blades, rubbish, if you want a good blade try Dorco blades, made in Sth Korea, Platinum St 300, not Chinesium and one blade last me at least a month.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

diyer wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:28 am Well, those feathers look great but I dont have the safety razor for them, so thats moot.
You can pick up a vintage Gillette safety razor handle on ebay for $10-$15.

Mine is almost 60 years old and was used on a daily basis by someone who did not have a beard, so it has a lot of "miles" on it and it's fine.

There are some models that have a collar under the head to adjust the blade angle by bending the center of the blade up/down. Mine does not have that, but the angle it's set at is fine.

There are new ones being manufactured, but mine works fine, so I have no need to replace it.

One of my son's will inherit it.

Steve
pete

Post by pete »

If they can counterfeit Mitutoyo digital calipers to where it's hard to spot, simple razor blades should be a walk in the park. But the manufacturer's and/or consumer retailers have only themselves to blame for those counterfeits happening. For what they are, any of today's multiple blade replaceable insert (machining content :-) razor blades are astronomically priced for what they are. Someone is making huge profit margins on these razor blades. It's my understanding these types of razor blades are the end result of machining a fairly specialized grade of heat treated stainless bars on more specialized product specific lathes with even more specialized carbide inserts. And what were really using is the swarf pre sharpened by the insert type and shape coming off those lathes, it's then straightened and bonded into the plastic holders. At most a few pennies to manufacturer each one. Those blades and how there produced are a massive rip off for what they cost to produce. I'd bet the packaging has a higher production price than the product. So it's the profit margins that are driving the counterfeit problem. And even more so if there not observing any quality control standards that provides some expectation of cutting tool life. As Mark pointed out, in other country's that counterfeiting is a way of life and certainly doesn't come with the same western stigma it would over here. Those doing it likely don't even think of it being all that dishonest.
Last edited by pete on Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

pete wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:56 pmThose blades and how there produced are a massive rip off for what they cost to produce. I'd bet the packaging has a higher production price than the product.

Someone has to pay for all the “woke” nonsense that has infested American corporations as of late. Plus there's the cost of all those ridiculous TV commercials...

As Mark pointed out, in other country's that counterfeiting is a way of life and certainly doesn't come with the same western stigma it would over here. Those doing it likely don't even think of it being all that dishonest.

All the counterfeiters are doing is taking advantage of US policy. As long as said policy permits a more-or-less unrestricted flow of goods into the country from other parts of the world we will be plagued with the counterfeit problem. You think it's bad with razor blades, you should see what we contend with in the electronics parts business.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Here's my Gillette razor. Almost as old as me.
IMG_20211210_074748.jpg
Steve
diyer

Post by diyer »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:39 pm You think it's bad with razor blades, you should see what we contend with in the electronics parts business.
I know that Hakko is having a problem with fake soldering tips being sold on ebay. I spoke directly to Hakko about this. Hakko is able to tell if the tips are fake because of an algorithm system they use. But even so, the fakes eat into their sales potential.
"When you have both a secret government and an open government -- you have a secret government."
diyer

Post by diyer »

There are quite a few good answers about this topic. SteveM and armscor really got me rethinking about razor blades. I dont doubt that I dont need 5 blades to shave well. I was looking for 5 blade Gillettes simply because I have a 5 blade razor. I should look for a razor that holds the double edge like Steve has. I see that they are still made; the Merkur brand pops up immediately. It has really got me thinking in a new direction.

Btw, what do you all think about electric shavers? Braun and Panasonic seem to have the two best products out there. But the blade replacement for the Panasonic was like $90, and Braun wasnt far behind that price either -- omg, that seems outrageous. And they are not perfect either, both brands have various issues.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

diyer wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:33 pmBtw, what do you all think about electric shavers?

Not much. If they worked as well as their manufacturers claim they do, the razor industry would have gone defunct long ago. Nothing beats a good razor for a close shave.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

My experience with electrics was 40 years ago; maybe they improved.
I found they worked great for the first month, then started pulling and ripping instead of cutting.

Gave up on the concept.

Just bought a bag of big name disposables that were on sale.
They're so bad, I think I'm going to toss them, and I rarely toss anything.

Bic seems to be ok.
I always think of their ad with John McEnroe from the 90's.
Or was that the 80's?