Better Quality V Belts for the G 9729?

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

16WhiteColly

Better Quality V Belts for the G 9729?

Post by 16WhiteColly »

Has anyone replaced the cheap Chinese V belts on the G 9729 lathe/mill? Would you happen to have replacement belt numbers?
40 year retired machinist.
16WhiteColly

Re: Better Quality V Belts for the G 9729?

Post by 16WhiteColly »

I think I am going to replace the cheap belts with Kevlar belts.
40 year retired machinist.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Suggest you might be more concerned with the quality of the rubber.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
pete

Post by pete »

I can't help you with belt part numbers, but I sure agree with Bills point. The day I got my then brand new Craftsman 16" floor model drill press I noticed the belt was really poorly made. It had Rong-Fu's name stenciled on it. Plugged the DP in and fired it up for the first time. There was a lump in the belt where it was joined at the factory that created a serious vibration in the spindle at higher speeds. I replaced that with the same cross section and length made by Gates/Goodyear. That made all the difference since it then ran nice and smooth. If it were me I'd check the Gates website and there should be enough information there to cross reference what belt size you need and how to measure what you already have to match it's length. With that part number you should be able to get it off the shelf or order it in from any local automotive supply store in a week or so. Cheap belts are the worst places to try and cut costs. I had to do exactly the same with the belt on my off shore 5"x7" Chinese band saw, although to be fair it was still a whole lot better than the one on my DP.