Hardinge BB4 wiring issues - Please help!

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

kl7sg

Re: Hardinge BB4 wiring issues - Please help!

Post by kl7sg »

You asked about a motor capacitor. Those capacitors loose capacitance over time.
They are fairly inexpensive and it certainly couldn't hurt to change it out.
Have a nice day,

Mike
Jim Clark

Post by Jim Clark »

Thanks kl7sg, I will try to get some information tomorrow.

I am not using an extension cord, but the cord that is on it is fairly long.
I will have to also look to see what the actual gauge of the wire is.
I will try to get a voltage reading when I am out there tomorrow as well.
Jim Clark

Post by Jim Clark »

I will certainly look into a capacitor as well then. I have never had one of those motors apart. Another excellent learning opportunity I suppose.

I bet I could find a decent video about tearing one down on youtube. I would think anyway.

Yes sir, CRS runs deep in this brain. LOL

Have a great day.
Jim Clark

Post by Jim Clark »

Hey Kl7sg & whateg0, thank you for trying to help me figure this out. I think I found the issue accidentally.

I went out and mapped out where the wiring went and in the process of moving wires around I have managed to completely shut the machine off. So something has lost contact. I will need to start going through the wiring to figure out where the problem is I guess. I did not disconnect anything, just moved wires, so hopefully it is just a bad wire or loose connection. Did not blow the fuse this time so it must be a loss of connection somewhere. Maybe at the switch, we will see.

To answer some of the questions from last night:
The power cord is 23 feet long. I can not find any writing on it at all, so I do not know what the gauge is exactly, but each individual wire coming out of it measures .210 including the individual wires outside jacket. The complete cord diameter is roughly .500 with all insulation included.
I could not get a voltage reading under load because I chose to measure that after I had mapped out the wire routes and now I can not get it to turn on at all. There is no power at the motor. I did not go any further though to see where the power outage actually is, I had to call it a day, but this is a good start I think.

I did map out where all of the wires are currently connected, so that is a plus. whatgo0 said that the motor does not appear to be one that has any speed options, so maybe it is time to look for an appropriate motor for it as I would like to get it set up so that everything works as it should.

Thanks again, I greatly appreciate your trying to help me out. This website appears to be a great source of information, and I am learning quite a bit about these machines reading other peoples posts. I think I will stick around and keep reading the posts here, they have been interesting.
kl7sg

Post by kl7sg »

Hi Jim,

Sounds good.
Yes, the motor you have is a fixed speed motor.
Regarding a replacement, you should be able to find a suitable replacement motor for the one you have.
You might want to be sure that it is a reversible motor in case you want to switch directions.

Mike
Have a nice day,

Mike
Jim Clark

Post by Jim Clark »

Thank you Mike, I will certainly do that. My intention is to be able to use all of it's features, so that will be on the list. It would be nice to have it operating correctly anyway.

When I do acquire a suitable replacement would it be alright with you if I contact you here and ask about how to properly hook the new motor up with regards to the switches?

Does a motor have to be 3 phase in order to operate in two speeds, or are there single phase dual speed motors?

Have a good night.
kl7sg

Post by kl7sg »

Hi Jim,

Yes you can contact me for help.

When you get the new motor make sure that it has some type wiring diagram.
In order for a motor to have two speeds, you will need one that has multiple pole options (4 pole/ 8 pole) like the original three phase motor. It should be available -- I am just am not sure where to find one.

Also, there is always the VFD option if you want to change the speed. If you go this route, you may need to get an auxiliary cooling fan to place on the motor to ensure you have adequate cooling air at low speeds

When you get the motor, I will make a wiring diagram for you.
Have a nice day,

Mike
Jim Clark

Post by Jim Clark »

Hi Mike,

I am not at all familiar with a VFD. I have seen it mentioned, but I have never seen or used one.
I will do some research tonight and see if that is an option for my situation.

Is the GE motor that is in the machine a non-reversible model?

Is there any way to figure out the wiring in the current motor that is in the machine with a meter, or is that not an option. I do have the plate with the wiring diagram for the motor, but I can not read all of the numbers on the wires inside the motor any more.
kl7sg

Post by kl7sg »

Based on the pictures of the motor and the number of wires, it is probably reversible and possibly a multi-speed motor.
But, the data plate only shows one speed.

What you could do is take it to a motor repair shop and see if they can figure out the connections.

Or, you can try using the diagram that you have. Using an Ohmmeter you should be able to sort out the wires and figure out the wire numbers
Have a nice day,

Mike
kl7sg

Post by kl7sg »

Also, can you post a picture of the wiring diagram?
I might gain some insight into how to proceed.
Have a nice day,

Mike
NP317

Post by NP317 »

As far as complete loss of power to the motor, check the most easily moved component: The power cord!
You could simply have a broken wire in one end., usually the wall plug end.
Think Simple, First.
RussN
Jim Clark

Post by Jim Clark »

Thank you for responding NP317

That is a good idea, I will start with the power cord. I did stretch it out to measure it the other day, it is entirely possible that that is when it disconnected.