Jet 1236P Tailstock

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Steggy

Re: Jet 1236P Tailstock

Post by Steggy »

Ewalk02 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:17 pm Attached are a few pictures of the tailstock, I have all the missing pieces so I think I'll try to TIG it back together this weekend. I'm not sure I'll get great results just looking at all the porosity in the original casting but it's worth a shot.20200809_165512.jpg
That appears to be chilled nodular iron. I have my doubts about welding it.

BTW, your picture seems to be upside down. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

liveaboard wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:31 pm Wow; that looks painful.
I was gonna say, anything is repairable, except that.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Do keep in mind, the purpose of a tailstock is to allow proper centering, at the proper attitude. The concept of welding (by any means) an item that is badly broken and ending up with alignment that would be acceptable is not good.

I'm not suggesting that you can't achieve results. I am suggesting that when you're finished, the results you'll achieve won't perform the task as required. You'll still need a tailstock, unless you are willing to settle for compromised results.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Ewalk02

Post by Ewalk02 »

Yep, completely agree that welding this thing up is more of a hope and dream than it is a solid plan. Still looking for a tailstock. Any leads would be much appreciated!! :D
Ewalk02

Post by Ewalk02 »

Another view...
20200809_165523.jpg
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Well I think I would try a non welding approach . Looks like you have a machined flat surface on each end ,bolt on a piece of 3/8-1/2 thick strap of the appropriate width .Clamp everything down to a flat surface ,mill table whatever and start drilling . I have one or 2 more ideas for a non weld repair if I had the tail stock in my hands depending on material thickness etc. If you do go with any sort of welding process get everything in alignment and clamped down solidly !!!!
www.chaski.com
pete

Post by pete »

I'd agree about the welding, 100% not going to happen unless you were prepared and could also sleeve the quills bore and then line bore it. Other heat induced warpage problems could create even further problems right away and even for years later on. Trying to do a weld repair is likely just about wasted effort though. Exactly how good is the condition of the rest of the lathe and how far do you want to go with this as well as budget? And what other machine tools do you have as well as experience? You have a supposedly correct fitting base on that tail stock that does fit the ways. It wouldn't be impossible to machine another upper tail stock assembly to both fit that base and put it's quill C/L at the correct elevation. Finding one with the correct general dimensions and enough extra meat to allow that machining for fit, elevation and correct alignment is the toughest part though. Additional surface grinding for final fitting or highly skilled hand scraping would be just about non optional. If you don't have that capability the whole project could very well end up costing more than a brand new lathe of the same size. Not many separate tail stocks seem to show up on Ebay and condition would be very important. One way or another this isn't going to be a cheap or easy fix.

Maybe not quite impossible, but getting well towards that. With the amount of paint worn off that tail stock it's seen a great deal of use. From that you could almost bet even that tail stock base is now heavily worn and almost certainly needs either regrinding or scraping to remove that wear. So that would be the very first step. It would take a lot of effort, skill and determination. But building a pattern and having a new casting poured isn't quite impossible. Doing it correctly and then machining to fit the already existing parts wouldn't be easy unless your at a professional tool maker status. After all that the lathe still won't be worth a great deal more than what you paid for it even if it came out perfect.Parting out that lathe might possibly get you as much or more than you paid for it (maybe) I hate to say it,but cutting your losses and buying another fully functional lathe might be the most cost effective. But only you could make that call. You can re-make or rebuild almost anything with enough money thrown at it. But cost verses benefit and how deep your wallet is are the practical limits for what anyone's willing to do.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

MANY of the chinese / Taiwan lathes have the same tailstock 'quill' section sitting on different height 'riser' blocks....or in some cases on no block at all.

you could try looking around at tool shows and / or on-line for a tailstock for any 12" or smaller lathe and make an adapter to get the center height where it needs to be.

as much work as this sounds...it may be a better solution than attempting to repair what you have...after all...a center is just...a center

even something used for a dividing head with and adjustable center height may be $ ahead in the long run.

i would be willing to bet that a tailstock from a 12" Grizzly lathe could be modified easier than what you are considering...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
mrchuck74

Post by mrchuck74 »

Curious of you came up with a replacement. I bought a 1236py and it doesn't have a tailstock. Looking for options