Jet 1236P Tailstock

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Ewalk02

Jet 1236P Tailstock

Post by Ewalk02 »

I recently purchased a Jet 1236P and have been in the process of cleaning and restoring it. One item that is damaged that I don't think I'll be able to repair is the tailstock casting, there is a massive hole in it where it looks like someone dropped it from an airplane. Does anyone know of a place to get replacement parts for this machine? I looked at a tailstock from a Grizzly G9249 but they aren't compatible. I've contacted Jet but they aren't getting back with me. If anyone has a tailstock they would like to sell I'd be interested as well.

Thanks!

Brian
Bill Shields

Re: Jet 1236P Tailstock

Post by Bill Shields »

depending on the vintage of the lathe, the castings could be Japanese, Chinese or from Taiwan and I am willing to bet they are no interchangeable (except by accident)

Finding a replacement will mean that you need not only the model but serial number (and possibly info from the name plate) stating country of origin.

Picture of the damage??
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Picture of the damage ,maybe repairable . As said Jet over the years sourced their machines form many different builders,so interchange is iffy.
www.chaski.com
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Ewalk02 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:06 am I recently purchased a Jet 1236P and have been in the process of cleaning and restoring it. One item that is damaged that I don't think I'll be able to repair is the tailstock casting, there is a massive hole in it where it looks like someone dropped it from an airplane. Does anyone know of a place to get replacement parts for this machine? I looked at a tailstock from a Grizzly G9249 but they aren't compatible. I've contacted Jet but they aren't getting back with me. If anyone has a tailstock they would like to sell I'd be interested as well.

Thanks!

Brian
Please post a good photo of the tail stock and a closeup of the damaged area.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

just in case it was missed....please post a picture since it is unlikely that you can get an exact replacement.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

My tailstock is off; the bore is worn into a shape other than round.

Which leads to the interesting possibility of using the lathe to make a tailstock for itself.

The gears are turning...
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

liveaboard wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:18 pm My tailstock is off; the bore is worn into a shape other than round.

Which leads to the interesting possibility of using the lathe to make a tailstock for itself.

The gears are turning...
Seems to me you could repair the old tail stock, as long as it can be solidly locked to the ways. Fit a boring head to the lathe's spindle and oversize the tail stock's bore. With that done, press-fit a sleeve made from some chrome-moly tubing (alloy obviously will wear better than carbon steel) and then bore the sleeve to the original diameter. Finish up with a brake cylinder hone to give the sleeve's bore a decent finish.

Just a thought...
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

A couple of difficulties come to mind straight away;
1; there is a key in the bore and a keyway in the barrel of the tailstock. Getting the key out looks to be pretty tough. there's a lump in the casting below it, like it's been deform pressed into place.
2; the tailstock barrel isn't round either, and needs to be skimmed or replaced.
3, the ways are worn where the tailstock moves. So even if I do all of the other work successfully [far from certain with my limited skill and equipment], it would still have significant error.

Probably my lathe needs a new lathe. Or I just muddle along with the known errors of this one.
It's VERY old and very used.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

liveaboard wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:10 am A couple of difficulties come to mind straight away;
1; there is a key in the bore and a keyway in the barrel of the tailstock. Getting the key out looks to be pretty tough. there's a lump in the casting below it, like it's been deform pressed into place.
2; the tailstock barrel isn't round either, and needs to be skimmed or replaced.
3, the ways are worn where the tailstock moves. So even if I do all of the other work successfully [far from certain with my limited skill and equipment], it would still have significant error.

Probably my lathe needs a new lathe. Or I just muddle along with the known errors of this one.
It's VERY old and very used.
As the old railroad joke goes, jack up the whistle and build a new engine underneath. Do you have the budget to acquire another lathe? The one you have now sounds pretty rough.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:16 am Do you have the budget to acquire another lathe? The one you have now sounds pretty rough.
No.
I look for bargains sometimes but here in southern Portugal that never seems to happen.
Ewalk02

Post by Ewalk02 »

Attached are a few pictures of the tailstock, I have all the missing pieces so I think I'll try to TIG it back together this weekend. I'm not sure I'll get great results just looking at all the porosity in the original casting but it's worth a shot.
20200809_165512.jpg
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Wow; that looks painful.