Duplomatic T50 tracer attachment, refurbishment

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

Patio

Duplomatic T50 tracer attachment, refurbishment

Post by Patio »

A new project that has been in making for some time. The Cazeneuve HBX360 lathe came with either a Taper attachment or a Tracer attachment. This was done because the tail stock design does not lend itself to cutting tapers, as is done on most all other lathes. Mine came with the Taper attachment. I have had my eyes out for a Tracer attachment for some time now. After studying the different designs, I new I needed one that had a low profile and a Duplomatic fits that bill. Being the weight of them, and the cost of shipping, I usually looked on CraigsList, but I still looked on Ebay too. I found one not to far from where I live, posted on Craigslist, for a very reasonable price. It was a Duplomatic TA80. Not only that, it has all the ancillary pieces, like the support arms, the beam and the centers. Most of the time one will find just the head and pump. Sometimes, maybe, some of the other pieces, but not all of them. So off I go, made a deal and brought it home. I was pretty stoked about it, until I realized the head was too big to run on my lathe. The Cazeneuve has a build in back splash, with a shelf and a traveling arm the holds a large guard, to cover the tool post. The guard was missing from the lathe when I got it, but the traveling support is still there, and it houses the cables to my DRO's scales, so I would rather not remove it. Harold has a Duplomatic T50 Tracer attachment that I had a chance to measure, and figured that that model would work for me too. Soooooo, back to searching I went. One popped up on Ebay for 650 bucks, shipped. :shock: That was an outrageous price, for just the head! A couple of emails later and I had worked out a deal, that I could live with, even with out the knowledge of whether it worked or not. She arrived, well packaged. I had to have the hoses from the power unit modified to fit the fittings of this smaller unit. Once done, I gave her a test run and she works fine. Here is the video of the first run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1M3hAPWKVk

I am now in the process of taking it apart to clean it. I believe it has sat for some time. The moving parts were all a bit sticky. Also I am contemplating making a new base for it. The cross slide on the HBX360 has a circular slot on the backside for mounting a tracer attachment, but the diameter of it is larger than the bolt hole circle of the tracer. I don't want to use an adapter if at all possible, because of the height restrictions I mentioned earlier.
Here are a couple of pictures of the base plate, before cleaning.
20200806_171748.jpg
20200806_171826.jpg
I have some 1" thick plate that I can make it out of, as it is not a hardened part.
I will post pictures of the tool post when it gets cleaned up, and before I put it all back together. The tool post has a slide and dial so it can be advanced toward the work. I will take pictures of the head unit too, as I get it cleaned up. I mean this is the picture gallery, after all! :)
That's it for now, lots of projects being juggled at the moment. It is a good problem to have! :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Re: Duplomatic T50 tracer attachment, refurbishment

Post by Patio »

I am all in now, and things are looking good! I have most of the tracer disassembled now. I am going to replace all the seals, I have apart.

Here is the tracer with the base removed and sitting to the left of the tracer unit. The tool post is the top three pieces.
Starting from the top of the picture is a unit that contains a horizontal and a vertical shaft, connect by a pair of bevel gears. It has a set of dovetail way feature on it's bottom.
The second piece from the top, is the body of a Dickson Quick-set, tool post.
Third from the top is the male dovetail way, and nut.
20200808_222906a.jpg
Bottom of tracer, with square ways.
The part with the pins sticking up is the male way and it mounts to the base plate. The back of piston rod, is connected to the male way. The cylinder bore is in the body of the tracer. On the right is the automatic stop turret. The plunger with the roller is actuated by a ramp that is connected to the base. ( It is one of the two black pieces to the left of the tool post, the other one is the stop for the turret to bump against.
20200808_223253a.jpg
20200808_223326a.jpg
There is a bit of rust on some non critical surfaces. I have been giving Evaporust a try, and have been pleased with the outcome so far. The rust here is on the bottom of the bottom ways. There is clearance between them and the base, as only the center of the base, contacts the male way. I am letting them soak over night, with some other items.

The Duplomatic has a feature that will lubricate the ways with a small amount of hydraulic fluid, each time the cylinder is activated. The block on the right has the metering ports and adjusters built in to it. The fluid enters in the middle port, goes thru the metering jets and then out the other two ports, one to the near side way and the other to the far side way.
20200809_115142a.jpg
This is a picture with the piston rod removed from the cylinder. The part at the bottom of the picture contains the seals, the hydraulic hose connections and the proportioning valve. I have no intention to take the valve apart at this time.
20200809_140005a.jpg
I have a bunch of 1" plate steel, that came from an old night deposit box that I have been cleaning up and knocking all the burs off of. Once I get all the parts cleaned up and put back together, I will see if I can make a suitable base with a larger bolt hole circle.

That's if for now!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Update: All the paint-able parts prepped.
20200814_202214.jpg
Primer coat done!
20200815_143907a.jpg
More to come, as it gets done. :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Silver hammertone paint.

Painted!
20200816_173122.jpg
Tape removed!
20200816_181501.jpg
Top row, third from the left. I missed painting an entire side of the part. :roll: I also missed an entire part, (bottom row, second from the left.) so I think I will try doing those parts with a brush. Hammertone paint, does a self leveling thing, for lack of a better way to explain it. It needs to be applied thick enough to work, so a brush might work OK. The paint is to soft to assemble things yet. I painted it, two coats, this morning. The pics were taken just before dinner.

More to come, as I get it done! :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Tool post is together.
20200817_183459a.jpg
Also found some more faces, of parts that need paint. So that is what I am doing. 8)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

This is the automatic stop. The plunger on the bottom, has a rack gear cut into it. When the tracer retracts, the plunger runs up a ramp, indexing it, one space. I thought you might be interested in the ratcheting mechanism too.
20200818_193208.jpg
20200818_210156a.jpg
I have the final coat of paint on the parts I missed. Should be able to assemble the entire unit soon. I will give it a test run and then make the new base plate. That will be an entire project, itself! :)
That's it for now.
I hope everyone is doing well, in this heat.

P.S. There are some 38 parts, in this assembly.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

That's a wildly complex hunk of machinery.
What will you use it for, or is that still an open question?
Patio

Post by Patio »

Liveaboard.
Funny thing is, this 10 year odyssey into machining that I have been on, started with me wanting to make some, one off parts, for one of my motorcycles. :) I still want to make some one off parts, now for a couple of my motorcycles. But first the bike must be in a running condition, before I will make any fancy parts, for it.
I have a thread going about one of the bikes, that has become a motor project, not a bike project that I thought I was getting into, at this moment in time.
That thread, is here!
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=101841
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I also did some motorbike things when I lived in India, but mostly left the engines stock.

Modified suspension [monoshock conversion] and turned a street bike into a very effective off road enduro bike. I had a lot of fun with that.

That was also my introduction to machining, I became friends with the local machinist who liked to tell me about his work [probably no one else was interested].
Patio

Post by Patio »

Liveaboard, I became friends with a local machinist too, his name is Harold, and he tells me stories too. :)

Here is a quick picture update.
Kind of put back together, and tested. Works great. Messed up some of paint, getting it together, but she looks pretty good from where I am standing. Need to put the handle in some Evaporust. I am going to throw a adjustable spanner wrench in it, too. I will do a before and after of it for you guys.
20200823_224602a.jpg
20200823_225304a.jpg
Need to make the new base plate for it, with a larger bolt hole circle, to fit the lathe's cross slide.
Work is busy, so we will see how it goes for a bit.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

I did some painting this weekend, and the centers for the template holder, became part of the project.
Here they are in new paint.
20201011_212618a.jpg
20201011_212651a.jpg
That's it for now!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Drawings of the original and new Base plate I am going to make, to mount the tracer on the Cazeneuve HBX360 lathe.
The drawings of the original part.
Duplomatic Tracer base. v4.jpg

The drawing of the new, to be made, base. The mounting bolt holes circle went from a diameter of 120mm to 140mm.
New Duplomatic Tracer base. v8.jpg
Duplomatic Tracer base. v8.jpg
Duplomatic Tracer basea. v8.png
The middle of the plate is 21mm (.826") thick and the wings are 13.25mm (.5216") thick. I am starting with a 1" thick plate, so there will be a bit of metal to remove.
The drawings were done in Fusion 360, free personal use version. They did just take a few features away, but it works for what I need, at the moment.
Thanks for looking! :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!