1911 Project

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

GlennW

Re: 1911 Project

Post by GlennW »

Today's mission was to put the dimple in the slide stop for the plunger using a 1/8" ball end mill and install the plunger tube. Next will be to install the sight rail when it arrives.

Running out of things to do...

I guess I need to start thinking about the finish. Probably just Black Oxide. Perhaps Black Nitride on either the frame or slide, but more research required.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

The Jon Eulette rail arrived, so the slide got drilled and tapped to accept it after mapping out the hole locations.

I lined the rail up with the foreword edge of the ejection port and that made it match nicely with the rear of the slide and back about .050" from the front.

I put about fifty rounds of 230 LRN through it this morning and it seems to be doing well so far, but still a bit tight. That was done with a heavier main spring and no optic. After disassembly and inspection everything looks real good with the upper and lower barrel lugs.

I'm still not changing anything until I have a bunch more rounds through it and it has a chance for everything to seat in. The barrel bushing is still a bit tight on the barrel, as it doesn't really slide freely, so I may work on that a bit though.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

The slide was set up in the vise at seven degrees for the "Marvel Cut".

Milled the slot with a carbide .010" corner radius end mill, as I don't really care for sharp inside corners.

The minor cutter marks were cleaned up with a few strokes with a small stone.
Glenn

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Nice, Glenn!
What does that slot do? Last time I handled a 1911 was when I was in the National Guard. I was discharged in 1962. :-)

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

It depresses the disconnector smoothly when the slide is closing rather the "clunk" normally felt. Basically smooths out the slide cycling a bit.
Glenn

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks! ;-)
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
RSG

Post by RSG »

Very impressive work Glenn!

Not many could do that level of delicate precision (including me without saying :roll: ). I also admire your "stick-to-it-ive" work habits (if there was ever such a word). Many years ago I started a big project (to big for me at the time) and never finished it, I vowed never to leave a project unfinished again, no matter how much work now, it gets done.

I noticed you installed a rail on top. I just bought a small red dot Vortex sight that I want to install on my shotgun for Turkey hunting and have a Picatinny rail I need to install as well.
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Your work reminds me just how little skill I possess. Beautiful work.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Thanks for the comments!
Glenn

GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Well, I managed to launch the recoil spring cap...

It ricocheted around the shop a few times and then disappeared, so I punished myself by making a new one. 304 Stainless

It will turn up at some point and then I will have a spare!
Glenn

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

It won't be as pretty as the new one. From the description of the launch, I strongly suspect it's going to be well dinged.
Nice looking replacement! You sure do pretty work, Glenn.

H
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Finally had some time to tinker.

Plugged the lathe spindle and turned the plug to just slide into the barrel.

Took a boring bar holder and indicated parallel to the Z axis and plugged it with round bar. Then indicated the round bar in so that it was concentric with the spindle bore and drilled and reamed it to size to accept a floating reamer holder. At this point I could have just sized it to the chamber and rigid reamed it, but whatever…

The barrel was then slid onto the aluminum plug and then the four jaw chuck was installed over it.

At this point a single wrap of soft aluminum wire was wrapped around the chamber so that the only contact the chuck jaws would have would be the wire so that the jaw surfaces would not influence the barrel alignment.
Last edited by GlennW on Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn