3/4" Scale J1e

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Odyknuck

Re: 3/4" Scale J1e

Post by Odyknuck »

So Cool Jack
steamingdon

Post by steamingdon »

Great Stuff !
steamer
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thank you Steamingdon and Odycnuck. It's a beautiful day here in the high mountain desert. The sun is shining outside, but it's supposed to rain later. No matter, as I will be tinkering in the nice warm shop. Here are a few bits and pieces for the cross compound compressors. Each compressor has a pickin' eye for lifting. The loops were formed from .045" brass rod. The other end was turned from 1/8" brass rod. The thread is #1-72.
Comp30.jpeg
Comp30.jpeg (228.75 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
Here the parts have been silver soldered together. I have talked about days when all the planets lined up, and everything went as smooth as could be hoped for. Yesterday was not one of them days :lol: . I had difficulty soldering the little rings to the threaded bases. The rings kept going on crooked on the bases, and I just couldn't get the right amount of solder. I had to file the solder to get it presentable. This never looks as good as when you get, "just the right amount" of solder, and capillary action does its thing. If you look closely at the picking' eye you can see it's a bit cattywhompous and nicked up. Oh well, go with what you got.
Comp31.jpeg
Comp31.jpeg (140.79 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
Here is another little detail that was made yesterday. These compressors each had two lubricators for the air end. These were mounted to a bracket bolted to the compressor with a couple of the Tee bolts. The lubricator will be held to the bracket with two #000-120 screws from below. The lube lines ran out the bottom of the lubricator. These will be simulated with 1/32 copper wire. I like to use copper for this as they used copper tubing on the prototype. This wire will be left bright and clear coated upon final assembly. The lubricators will get little brass caps threaded 4-48. They will have square heads and will also be left bright upon final assembly.
Comp32.jpeg
Comp32.jpeg (213.43 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
Here we can see the picking' eye on top of the compressor, the lubricator, and also some more plugs. These plugs will also be left bright. The reason there is only one lubricator shown, is this part will be used to make a mold and get castings. This is a very simple part, but was a real fiddle to make. I'm not totally happy with it, as the bosses for the screws are tremendously oversize. I will also be making castings for the lubricator mount.
Comp33.jpeg
Comp33.jpeg (228.57 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
Here is a general view. It's a real joy to work with beautiful castings like we have here. Anthony did his usual magic on the molds. These compressors will be chemically blackened. The Tee bolts and nuts will also be blackened. Then everything will be carefully assembled and clear coated. Many of the Tee bolts and nuts must be put in place with tweeers and the nuts tightened with a home made wrench. Too much fun..🤪 ??? The piping to the compressors will all be non functional. The steam piping is 3/32" in, and 1/8" for exhaust. The air piping is all 5/32". There were several plug valves on the steam end of the compressor to vent water condensate on start up. I will me making one of these today for a mold master. It will be made to fit on 1/16" rod. Actually quite a bit oversize. But that's as small as I want to make it.
Comp34.jpeg
Comp34.jpeg (266.93 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
See You In The Funny Pages...
Jack
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Jack, I suspect no one will notice the imperfections unless looked at very closely.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Inspiring works as always.

If you get too impatient with the too-large bolt bosses on the two lubricator cups, could you perhaps cast one complete unit that includes both cups (more scale) with the bolt-on mount plate?
Just dreaming along.
RussN
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello Jack,
Nothing to bee seen regarding your retirement so far :) . Fully agree to enjoy an afternoon siesta, which I like so much, too!
First time I see those fine castings of the CC pumps. They will be built to perfection by adding on your jewelry 8)
Your progress might me inspire to continue the work at my working CCs for my A:wink:
Please keep on fine tuning (at a reduced pace) and continue posting your precise work as you did for so long time :D
Beste regards
asteamhead
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thank you Odycnuck, and Steamhead. Yes, you are correct, flaws in tiny parts like this are not very apparent. These compressors are partially hidden behind the compressor shields, but I still try to make things as correct as I can. NP317 is also correct. The lubricators and mount could easily be made as a single casting. I try to assemble things as they were on the prototype. Bolted or riveted together when possible. This is not always possible, or practical, especially when dealing with a 3/4" scale model. I would rather have things slightly oversize but proportionally correct, and assembled like the full size parts. This sometimes comes back to bite me though. I made the master for the drain cocks on the cross compound steam cylinders. I wanted the handle on the drain cock to be held in place with a flat head screw. In this case by a #00-90 x 3/32" screw. This way it could be positioned as wanted. I made the handle as small as possible to accept the #00-90 Flat head. When the little handle was made it was plunked down on top of the drain cock for a look. Nope... way too big. It looked really jive :oops: . Lets try again with a #000-120 flathead. Pictures to come.
Here is something I have been wanting to touch on. One of my little luxuries here in the model shop is a cloth covered work surface. For several reasons. First, it's just a nice surface to work on. Second it won't damage or scratch your work piece. And thirdly, it protects my hands from the cold steel work table, (soon to be replaced by a proper work bench with a wooden top and a gaggle of little drawers to put things in). This cloth covered surface is a piece of masonite covered with cloth. I used part of an old bedsheet to cover it, and stuck it down with #77 spray adhesive. After a time, the cloth will get grubby and the spray adhesive allows it to be peeled off and replaced. Like I said one of my little luxuries. Anything that can make your work area more comfortable is important. Good lighting, heat and air conditioning, and some good tunes. Good machinery is important too. But anything that will make your shop time more pleasurable will increase your shop time. And Time is the most important thing, because it takes a lot to finish a project. Enough blah, blah, blah, time to hit the shop. :D
Happy Model Building
Jack
Attachments
Cloth.jpeg
Cloth.jpeg (292.53 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Last time I talked about the handle for the compressor drain cocks being too big. Here is the updated version. First the tapered handle was turned, and a ball was formed like we have here. This is actually the reject handle. I didn't get a photo of the smaller handle at this stage.
Comp48.jpeg
Comp48.jpeg (644.43 KiB) Viewed 1657 times
Most of the ball part was formed with a file. Here we have a modified file. One edge has a straight safe edge, and the edge shown here is somewhat rounded. It was just zoomed on the bench grinder to take the teeth off and make safe edges. I have a small assortment of these files and they are very handy for things like we have here.
Comp49.jpeg
Comp49.jpeg (176.27 KiB) Viewed 1657 times
And here we are preparing to mill the handle.
Comp50.jpeg
Comp50.jpeg (238.81 KiB) Viewed 1657 times
And here the handle has been milled, turned 180 degrees and the other side milled. Now it will be drilled for the #000-120 screw.
Comp51.jpeg
Comp51.jpeg (213.5 KiB) Viewed 1657 times
Here the handle was been drilled and countersunk for the screw, and the screw put in for a look. The round bit that the screw fits in is .062" diameter.
Comp52.jpeg
Comp52.jpeg (141.78 KiB) Viewed 1657 times
And here is the dummy drain cock and handle mocked up. This looks much better than the first try. The #00-90 screw was far too big and the handle looked like I made it with my feet.
Comp53.jpeg
Comp53.jpeg (159.71 KiB) Viewed 1657 times
This is how we learn.🤪
Jack
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

beautiful work on those pumps jack, i assume they are just cosmetic they are not gonna be functional right? this hudson is gonna be a masterpiece when it's done.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thank you Dan. The cross compound pumps will just be for looks. Like I have said before, I have known brilliant people to tear their hair out trying to make miniature steam powered pumps run. The goal is to build a very accurate scale model that is mechanically simple. I want to run the engine. After, all I am building the high line for a reason... :D .
Having Fun Here
Jack
Last edited by JBodenmann on Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rmac

Post by rmac »

Jack wrote: And here the handle has been milled, turned 180 degrees and the other side milled. Now it will be drilled for the #000-120 screw.
Not very much brass was harmed in the creation of this handle. :D
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

JBodenmann wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:01 pm Hello My Friends
Thank you Dan. The cross compound pumps will just be for looks. Like I have said before, I have known brilliant people to tear their hair out trying to make miniature steam powered pumps run. The goal is to build a very accurate scale model that is mechanically simple. I want to run the engine. After, all I am building the high line for a reason... :D .
Having Fun Here
Jack
well ive learned that steam powered air compressors can be troublesome in our hobby. hence why alot of people just go with electric air pumps inside of rolling stock if they choose to have air brakes on their train. steam water pumps on the other hand i find are beneficial as another way of getting water into the boiler. however i do like the sound of an air pump just pumping away while the train is sitting still. i do like that sound especially when the pump exhaust is piped to exhaust out the smokestack. but thats just me.

yea i can't wait to see once your hudson is finished.