3/4" Scale J1e

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Greg_Lewis

Re: 3/4" Scale J1e

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Jack put me on to that silicone lube and I can vouch for it being good stuff. I use it on stuff other than the steamer, too, such as the kitchen faucet and the plastic caps on irrigation filters. It does - not - wash - off. If you get it on your hands, you'll wear it for several days.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:22 pm Jack put me on to that silicone lube and I can vouch for it being good stuff. I use it on stuff other than the steamer, too, such as the kitchen faucet and the plastic caps on irrigation filters. It does - not - wash - off. If you get it on your hands, you'll wear it for several days.
I've used similar silicon high-vacuum grease for years. One little container is still providing after 40+ years!
Maybe I'm not building enough stuff...

Really nice to see more of Jack B's amazing work.
RussN
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

NP317 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:45 pm .... One little container is still providing after 40+ years!

If anyone needs water pump grease for a Model A Ford, let me know. :lol:
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:50 pm
NP317 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:45 pm .... One little container is still providing after 40+ years!

If anyone needs water pump grease for a Model A Ford, let me know. :lol:
Offer that to the WAAAMuseum in Hood River, Oregon, USA
They presently keep at least 10 Model Ts, equal # of Model As, and many more additional old cars in operation.
...and probably already have a 5-gallon bucket of said lubricant!
RussN
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
It's a lovely rainy and snowy day here in the high mountain desert. A good day to stay inside where it's nice and warm. I haven't done anything lately with the Hudson as I have been focusing on the Nickel Plate Berkshire. Here are a couple illustrations of the cross compound air compressor. This first one is a rendering from the 1930 Locomotive Cyclopedia. On the right side are the two cylindrical lube reservoirs for the air end with their small lube lines. You can also see the Tee bolts that hold everything together. These Tee bolts will be #00-90.
Cross Comp.2.jpeg
And here is a drawing with the various parts identified. As stated earlier I will be making non functional pumps. I will be making a drilling fixture to locate the holes for the #00-90 tee bolts that hold everything together. That's the only really fussy bit. There will be quite a few threaded covers for the valving on the air end, the piston rods with their wipers, and simulated packing nuts. Also the lube reservoirs and piping, and a couple pickin' eyes. Then I will have something to fill the big empty spot behind the compressor shields that were made a while ago. I have't decided on the piping sizes to and from the pumps. Probably 3/32" and 1/8". I don't usually paint things until final assembly but complicated little trinkets like this, the stoker engine , and the trailing truck booster will be finished as they are assembled. The main large parts will be painted and the small bits such as the fasteners will be chemically blackened. Brass parts that are to remain bright will be metal finished and then clear coated. Painting and metal finishing is an important part of a fine scale model. After all a model is only as good as its weakest point.
See You In The Funny Pages...
Jack
Attachments
CrossComp.1.jpeg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Well it certainly has been a while since there was any progress on the Hudson. Nickel Plate 762 was finally finished, and was picked up. There will be some pictures of it soon. But today we will be looking at some parts for the cross compound compressors. Our friend Anthony provided the beautiful castings shown here before. A drilling fixture was made to locate the holes and all the castings were drilled. Then some tee bolts were needed to hold the whole mess together. There are two lengths of tee bolt. The short ones are 3/16" long. The long ones are 1/4". Long being a relative term here :lol: They were made from #00-90 model bolts with the heads milled.
Comp10.jpeg
Comp10.jpeg (235.66 KiB) Viewed 1356 times
Next up we have some caps that are scattered around the pumps. They are covers for check valves, shuttles, and such. There are three different sizes. There will dummy piston rods and packings, air filters, some lubricators, and piping. These compressors will nicely fill the void behind the compressor shields.
Comp11.jpeg
Comp11.jpeg (208.02 KiB) Viewed 1356 times

It seems that I'm finally actually retired, now that the last large locomotive commission is gone. I will be making trinkets like brake valves and such from time to time. But mostly I will be spending time on my own projects from now on. First, to finish the railway. And the Hudson. I will also be finishing my shop. I have a few things I have been wanting to make for the shop but just never seemed to have the time. Now I have the time. :D
See You In The Funny Pages...
Jack
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Jack:
Congrats on your "retirement"!!
I look forward to whatever you keep doing and sharing here.
A good Journey continues...
RussN
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Jack , Hope you enjoy retirement as it is a hoot! As far as having a lot more time on your hands go, that's a myth! lol
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
It's beautiful rainy day here in the high mountain desert. No storm damage here, but the road to town was impassable the other day due to high water in a normally dry steam. Thank you Russ, and Odycnuck. So far retirement is very nice. I am trying to overcome one of my bad habits, which is to always be in a screaming hurry. There is absolutely no reason for this now, but old habits are hard to break. So I have to take myself by the collar and remind myself. There is no hurry, there is no hurry...Well I'm working on it. Currently I'm fiddling with the shop. Making some new wall cabinets for the welding area. Also just a lot of cleaning and organizing. Things I never seemed to have time for as...I always seemed to be in a screaming hurry :wink: . It's raining so I'll definitely be in the shop. If it ever dries out here I will be building the trestle for the railway. But for now I'm in the shop just having fun and trying to slow down.
See You In The Funny Pages
Jack
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

JBodenmann wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:21 pm ... I am trying to overcome one of my bad habits, which is to always be in a screaming hurry. ...

You'll get there, Jack. There is no substitute for the joys of an afternoon siesta. Just don't lie in the same position you sleep in at night, and set a timer for no more than 30 minutes lest you descend into a coma and screw up the night's shuteye. As someone on the net said, "Not to brag but I'm SO good at sleeping I can do it with my eyes closed."
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

"I am trying to overcome one of my bad habits, which is to always be in a screaming hurry."

Jack, you just learned why you will end up not having enough time on your hands. lol
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
I had a fun day in the shop. I worked on the new wall cabinets for the welding area. They will hold things like welding helmets, gloves, and my favorite... polka dot welding hats. :lol: Life is good! Also, my assortment of fire brick bits and pieces. I also managed to make some bits for the cross compound compressors. These are just dummy compressors. Lovely clutter for the front end. Some little caps were made today. These were both 3/16" and 5/32" diameter caps. I also drilled and tapped some of the places they will go.
Pump20.jpeg
Pump20.jpeg (295.71 KiB) Viewed 1009 times
Here is a closer look at the bottom cylinder head. The larger plugs are 3/16" diameter with 5/32" over the flats. These have a #5-40 thread into the cylinder head. The smaller caps are 5/32" diameter with 1/8" over the flats. These have a #3-56 thread into the head. The little nuts are #00-90. They will attach to the T bolts and draw everything together. Before final assembly the castings will be gently bead blasted and then chemically blackened. The T bolts and nuts will be blackened also. Then all will be assembled. The plugs will be left bright. This gives things a jewelry like look. The secret is to keep this very low key, don't add too much bling. Then the assembled compressors will be given a coat of clear acrylic. This seals the chemical blackening, and also the bright parts. Sometimes chemical blackening can go chalky over time if it's not sealed. This locomotive will not be shiny. It will be satin black almost a charcoal color. The smoke box, and fire box will be a different color. There will be many textures on the finished loco. There will also be mild weathering. Shiny engines don't photograph well. The locomotive works, Baldwin, Lima, Alco, often gave the engines a water base flat paint job for builders photos.
Pump21.jpeg
Pump21.jpeg (412.77 KiB) Viewed 1009 times
Happy Model Building
Jack