ALCO cab nose measures?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

rkcarguy

Re: ALCO cab nose measures?

Post by rkcarguy »

I think it looks great, was going to comment that it looks a little low slung but I see you are going to raise the ride height about 1/2" so we're on the same page. Now it just needs a big single cylinder motor and a turbo (non-functioning) so it sounds like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3lzdaC8yQ4
tetramachine

Post by tetramachine »

I have 2 wheelchairs for sale, made by Quickie model 646, one has the high performance 4 brush, the other standard motors. Good batteries, and i have the programmer needed to modify the current settings. located in NJ.

PM if interested
My wheels don't slow me down
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

I've seen quite a few nice locomotives built around wheelchair electronics. Go for it!
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

June 16th, 2022, and we're getting very close.
June 16th, 2022, and we're getting very close.
Wires are for the LED marker lights.  Those were added today, but after this photo.
Wires are for the LED marker lights. Those were added today, but after this photo.
Pete's ALCO trucks are here and for the sake of updating this series, you see the completed trucks under the FA1. These are powered with two 24 volt wheelchair motors and #35 chain and sprockets. I want to point out that we have to add a 1/2" to 3/4" spacer between the bolster and the engine body to match the actual locomotive design and allow the trucks to track freely. This is one heavy locomotive. The roof is being fabricated a second time, as the first was just not prototypical and we want it right.
I want to do a bit more cosmetic work and then come the paint.

Pete is hoping to cast ALCO trucks this summer as rough components, needing some machining. If you want to construct a Diesel using AAR Type "B" trucks, you probably want to talk to Pete at Odd Duck Foundry.
Attachments
We need to place a spacer on the bolster to get prototypical height.
We need to place a spacer on the bolster to get prototypical height.
IMG_2838.JPG
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

This is the link to the files I've collected while constructing the ALCO FA1. Many people have contributed to the library and
while I have not acknowledge all the individuals, my deep gratitude is extended to them. Please read the note card in the file.
As a retired teacher, I believe we learn more when we share information. My hope is these files will move more large scale modelers towards scratch building their own equipment. I have also posted a great many files for FM H16-44 Diesels, and that link is posted elsewhere on this board.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing