Pacific Fruit Express Reefer Kits - 1½" & 1" Scale

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

SPSteam2491

Re: Pacific Fruit Express Reefer Kits - 1½" & 1" Scale

Post by SPSteam2491 »

Here is what the attachment looks like. The other end is the same setup. The 3/8" bolt attaching the frame to the body could also be a carriage bolt through the floor.
Attachments
Attaching Frame.png
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
vegasfan

Post by vegasfan »

Thanks for showing the underframe.
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

Busy weekend playing with trains at the Mad City train show but got some time last night to start lettering the car. I am using paint masks from Connie Miracle Graphics and Model Master Paint. I am using the dry brush technique to fill in the letters and heating up the mask using a hair dryer to fit into the grooves and to also prevent paint peeling when removing the mask. I am really happy with how it has turned out so far, even with some paint peeling. Though the paint peeling is from rushing to pull the mask off, patience when removing is key.
Hopefully tonight I can finish this side of the car and start on the SP logo.
Attachments
Step 29.jpg
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
one_inch_railroad

Post by one_inch_railroad »

WOW! The car looks great! Can't wait to order some.

I usually use waterslide decals on my cars but that might be an issue with the grooved siding of the reefers. Not sure how well vinyl graphics would work in this instance either since I have never used Vinyl. When you do the 1" prototype would it be possible to film a little video clip of the dry brush technique with the paint mask and hairdryer? I think it's something that would be easier to understand and get the technique down by seeing rather than reading.

Keep up the great work.
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

One_inch_railroad, I can do that. I agree, pictures and videos are better than trying to explain.

The Southern Pacific side of the car is almost complete. Just the model number and the built date need to be added. Tonight I will start working on the Union Pacific side of the car. I need to give a shout out to my wife for helping me with the lettering on this car. She has much more patience than I have when painting detail work and is super skilled with a scalpel! (Being a labor and delivery nurse helps). Sorry, she is not included in the kit :D
Attachments
Step 30.jpg
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
rwmorris

Post by rwmorris »

Wow! That looks killer.

-RM
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

The Union Pacific logo was a really fun challenge. It required three colors (White, Cobalt Blue, Vermilion Red) that needed their mask to overlay in the correct position. The "L's" in the corners help line up all the layers. First the white was applied:
Step 31.jpg
Then the cobalt blue:
Step 32.jpg
And finally the vermilion red:
Step 33.jpg
There are a few touch ups required but it really came out looking sharp. I won't have any car updates to post tomorrow. Over the weekend I am going to build a small heated paint booth to paint all the detail parts (hinges, grab irons, etc.) and them get them installed. Stayed tuned!
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

Sometimes you need to think outside the box. In this case, thinking inside a box was the solution. It is too cold here in Wisconsin to do any painting outside so I made up a quick paint booth to keep the paint and the parts above 50°F when painting.
Paint Booth.jpg
On one end is a cheap furnace filter taped to the box with a box fan drawing air through it. On the other side is a small electric heater. The flaps are opened when painting and then closed to let the paint cure.
The brass hinge pieces from PSC were cleaned with dish soap, rinsed and dried, then placed in white vinegar for ~40 minutes. After another rinse and dry, they were primed, then painted black. Eventually when the weather gets warmer, they will be clear coated but for now, they will be installed on the car. That will be the goal tonight.
Step 34.jpg
And an update for the 1" folks. Trucks and bolster castings were received last week. The design for the 1" car will be finalized this week and then sent to prototype. I should be able to get the prototype parts around the 13th of March and start the build on that car shortly after.
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

The PFE hinge parts from PSC are absolutely outstanding. With a little cleanup with a drill and a file, the hinges and the door catches are fully functional! I am attaching the parts to the side of the car with #0 screw nails from McMaster Carr. The plans for the car will include the layout locations for all the parts (even if you don't buy the door hardware or grab irons/ladders). All these items can be added at a later time if your budget only allows for getting the basic kit.
Attachments
Step 35.jpg
Step 36.jpg
Step 37.jpg
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

The remaining hardware items were painted last night. They will all get installed and the finishing touches will be completed tonight. I will post some completed car pictures tomorrow.

On a side note, I have been working on accurate roof hinges for these cars. The prototype parts were received yesterday and placed on the car. I am very happy with how they look. These were just printed in plastic to test geometry and I am in talks with a supplier to have them made in metal; they are designed to be functional with both a hatch cover and the hatch plug.
Attachments
PFE Roof Hinges.jpg
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

These look really sharp with all the detail parts added, nice work!
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

Thank you! I got all the detail parts added on last night. Here are a couple shots of the completed car. There are more pictures in the "Marketplace" section. http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 73#p406073
Attachments
Finished Car I.jpg
Finished Car IV.jpg
Finished Car VI.jpg
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops