Pacific Fruit Express Reefer Kits - 1½" & 1" Scale

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Kevin S

Re: Pacific Fruit Express Reefer Kits - 1½" & 1" Scale

Post by Kevin S »

I have found with painting letters it is easier to spray the lettering color on first. After it is dry, apply the paint mask lettering (use positive image lettering like that of vinyl lettering), spray the rest of the car, remove paint mask once paint has set. this way has a lot less masking to do and less chance for unwanted overspray.
-Kevin S.
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

I was going to try that on the 1" car but I decided to just use that paint mask and try that method on another car I am building.

I agree that there would be less over spray or bleed over on the letters. And it is always easier to touch up the darker color over a lighted color.
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Any ideas on the pricing for 1"? You're killing us :)
cp4449

Post by cp4449 »

Mike Walsh wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:49 pm Any ideas on the pricing for 1"? You're killing us :)
Thank you Mike. Been wondering ever since this thread started.....
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

Pricing will be released this week :D
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

Aside from the railroad herald, the first side is complete. The other side will be completed next week and videos will be taken of the process.
Attachments
Step 29.jpg
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

Pricing has been released on the Marketplace section! http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 66#p409066

The prototype car will be fully completed by the end of May. That will give some time to decide if you would like to purchase a kit after seeing what a completed kit would look like.
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

Progress on the 1" car still is slow but moving forward. I received the prototype plastic parts for the door and roof hardware for the car yesterday. They do need another iteration as there was a failed print on two of the parts but overall, they look good. I am also going to offer the non working detail part in metal form. I will be getting those prototype parts in a couple weeks. If the prototype parts turn out well, I will actually be reducing the cost of the plastic parts. The metal non working parts are still TBD but I will know in a couple weeks.

The other items going on in the shops have been finishing the instructions for the 1½" kit and creating a website to list past and future projects. Those who purchased an 1½" kit should have received the instructions by now but once the website it up, they will all be available to download even if you don't purchase a kit. Other than the instructions, there is a wealth of knowledge about PFE cars and paint schemes. For example, the instructions include the paint schemes for 5 different versions and I included the drawing for one below. The 1" cars will also get the same instructions but redrawn for 1" scale. All of this extra work is done to make assembling and finishing the car easy and enjoyable. After all this is a hobby, you should have fun doing it!
Attachments
PFE75_PL1929_001.png
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

The SP and UP logos were painted on sheet metal to match the practice PFE did for a few years. These logos will be attached to the car with small nails after cutting them out from the base sheet.
SP LOGO 1in.jpg
UP LOGO 1in.jpg
The roof platforms and hatches were also completed and test fit onto the car. All these parts are precut and just need to be glued together by the builder. The instructions include the dimensions needed to space out the platform supports. These parts will now get painted the same color as the ends of the car and the roof will get painted black.
Step 30.jpg
Step 31.jpg
And finally, another set of plastic detail parts was received in the mail with great results. They need to get painted black, then attached to the car. Here is the non working roof hatch pieces for the 1" car and I also have a set of working roof hatch pieces for the 1½" car that I will fit-up. Both these items will be available for purchase by July, even if you don't buy a kit.
Step 32.jpg
By next weekend, the 1" reefer will be completely finished as the last detail pieces are being shipped. I am also making a trip to my home club to do some work on the railroad and take both the 1½" and 1" reefer for a photo shoot.
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

The 1" prototype car is now complete. Below are a couple detail shots of the car and some closeups of the door and roof detail parts. There are more pictures of the car in the marketplace section, you can follow this link to see them http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 0&t=108204.
1in Car Complete 4.jpg
1" Door Detail Parts - Non working
1" Door Detail Parts - Non working
1" Roof Detail Parts - Non Working
1" Roof Detail Parts - Non Working
Also there is updated pricing for the plastic detail parts as the prototype parts came out better than expected. I will be setting those parts up on my Shapeways account and they will be available for purchase by the end of the week even if you don't buy a kit.
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

This topic is all but complete. There are a couple last things I would like to post about these kits.

First is a shot of both the 1½" and 1" cars together. This is a pretty neat shot as not too many railroads out there have both 1½" and 1" track and it really helps to show the difference in the scales while also showing the level of detail that can be accomplished.
Completed reefer kits
Completed reefer kits
Second is the roof hatch detail parts for the 1½" kits. The prototype parts came out great and show the functionality of these parts. There is a vendor working on producing these parts in brass and I hope that they will be available sometime this year. While they are designed specifically for Pacific Design Shops reefer kits, they can be made to be used with existing reefers already out there with little to no modifications required. Just another fun piece of hardware to add to the cars. There may be a chance that 1" working versions are made available this year as well, but that project is on going.
1½" Roof
1½" Roof
Finally, here is a proud dad moment during the photo shoot for both cars. I was applying the last bit of detail parts and my kiddo wanted to help too. He loves being hand-on to whatever mom and dad are doing and is such a joy watching him play with trains. He always gets the biggest grin seeing a train go by and I am sure in a couple years, he will be driving me all over the railroad. :D
Dad and Son.jpg
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
Andy R

R 30-12 Pacific Fruit Express Reefer 1½" Scale

Post by Andy R »

Here's my build of one of John LaFavor's kits.
UPRR logo side:
IMG_4436s.jpg
Handbrake end:
IMG_4437s.jpg
SPRR Side:
IMG_4438s.jpg
This kit sat behind a chair in my living room for almost 3 years, to the consternation of my wife.
I finally started working on it in July, taking a break from the P7d project.
Suppliers included:
Grabirons, stirrups, door hardware and roof hatch hardware - Paul Vernon (Precision Steel Car)
Trucks are discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=108182
Handwheel, pawl, ratchet and base - Howard Gorin (The Machinery Works)
Stencils for lettering and vinyl for logos - Connie Miracle
Hardware and adhesives - McMaster-Carr
Paints - included Kilz, Sherwin-Williams, Rustoleum and Tamiya
Dummy Westinghouse KC brake components - Shapeways