Peep Sight for Savage A22

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Peep Sight for Savage A22

Post by SteveHGraham »

I picked up a Savage A22, which is a semiauto .22 rifle. I was thinking I should get a peep sight instead of scoping it. The .22 is not very accurate, and I shoot squirrels, so I feel like it's a waste of time to think about what happens much over 100 feet away.

I looked at peep sights on the web, and it didn't seem like any were made for this gun. How big a deal is it to modify a peep sight to fit a rifle?
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
earlgo

Re: Peep Sight for Savage A22

Post by earlgo »

Steve: Years ago Williams made inexpensive receiver sights called the Williams Foolproof and for the round receiver you would need something like a FP 70. Not nearly as expensive as the Lyman sights. You might have to turn over a few flea markets or gun shows. The current Lyman sights are in excess of $100 and the new Williams are in the neighborhood of $70. And you probably would need to inlet the stock for the sight base.
If you knew someone with a few machines, you could have them make a non adjustable aperture sight for a few hours time that would bolt to a scope base or use the scope base screws.

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

That's surprising. I can get a good Nikon rimfire scope for $90, but a peep sight can cost over $100? I wonder if this is why peep sights aren't more popular!

What about making an adaptor that can be screwed into the holes for the scope base?
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I'm looking to see if someone makes a rear sight that attaches to a Picatinny or Weaver rail.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I decided to put a peep sight on my Marlin Model 60 instead. The Marlin is inferior in just about every way, so I feel like the Savage will benefit more from a scope. And a company called Tech-Sights makes a peep that fits the Marlin.