Brazing And Light Welding Fixture

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

shophermit

Brazing And Light Welding Fixture

Post by shophermit »

Hello I am new to this site. I recently completed a metal melting furnace and light welding fixture.I am on a few other sites so some of you may have seen this before. For those who haven't I will upload the fixture here and later my furnace build on the casting forum.

I got the Idea for this fixture from a picture I recently found on the web. In my project building I sometimes have need to weld up small weldment assemblies. Magnetic blocks sometimes don't cut it and vise and clamps can be clumsy and can get in the way of good welds. Below is my version of this fixture, it is more versatile than the original idea. The table height is adjustable 5" and the table can be rotated vertically and horizontally. I have devoted 4 clamps and 2 vise-grip type clamp downs but other arrangements to suit the work can be included. When I source some large wing nuts they will replace the current nut arrangement to speed set up and eliminate the wrenches. Construction is all pipe and pipe fittings except for the table which is a motor mount from a scrapped engine stand.

Cheers CB
books_009-cropped_zpse4f40pvd.jpg
008.JPG
007.JPG
006.JPG
005.JPG
Last edited by shophermit on Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shophermit

Re: Brazing And Light Welding Fixture

Post by shophermit »

Here's the last 2 pictures and 3 pictures as a example of a simple set-up for welding an angle iron frame. Rotating the table allows good access to best welding positions.

Cheers CB
004.JPG
003.JPG
001 (2).JPG
002.JPG
004 (2).JPG
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Very creative and versatile!
It gives me some ideas for the future.
Thanks for sharing.
~RN
shophermit

Post by shophermit »

Thanks for the vote of confidence -RN. Hope you can improve on it.

Cheers CB
spro

Post by spro »

It is a good idea. I already have an engine stand doing nothing. My welding nook is a metal table with a vise. That will change. Too many times, rigged up supports and angles when something as this could be right there.
spro

Post by spro »

For this type use, I wouldn't use premier C clamps. The funky cheaper ones can be tightened up after the pseudo welding of attachment studs. There is so much slop in the thread engagement, it begs a pound.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

spro wrote:For this type use, I wouldn't use premier C clamps.
Hmmm. I'm not convinced there's really a choice any longer. I have not seen good quality clamps on the market for several years now, much to my chagrin. Had I known they'd disappear, I'd have purchased a few more. I have only three sets (of two), three inch, four inch and six inch.

Is anyone aware of good quality clamps today? I'd like to hear about them if they are available. I regret not having purchased some two inch, and I often could use more than two of the sizes I have.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Harold_V wrote:Is anyone aware of good quality clamps today? I'd like to hear about them if they are available. I regret not having purchased some two inch, and I often could use more than two of the sizes I have.
There are plenty of them out there - at estate sales. Any time I see them, I grab them, for the reasons to which Harold refers.

Nice clamping setup. I don't do any welding yet, but I can see something like that being very handy for assembly work. I like the tool rack - keeps everything where it belongs and you don't have to keep searching for things.

Steve
shophermit

Post by shophermit »

The set of clamps I used are forged steel made in the USA clamps. I too wish I had purchased many more way back when I purchased these. Todays Asian made clamps don't compare in material and adjustment, They are improving, I remember breaking and bending many, haven't done that in recent memory. Record Tools still makes a nice top quality clamp.

Cheers CB
spro

Post by spro »

These clamps are going to suffer the spatter, grinding grit. I wouldn't use one of my old finds and weld anything to them. The idea is to have them somewhat uniform in size and operation. When I said "pseudo welded", I was referring to the pseudo steel/iron that the inexpensive harbor. The screws are of some square thread but often so loose, accurate clamping requires further alignment.
shophermit

Post by shophermit »

I agree with most of that spro which is why I didn't use my many cheap imports for this. I'm not a collector so keeping them pristeen is not a concern. They will collect spatter and grinding dust weather used here or in some other application. An occasional wire brushing and file touch-up will greatly extend there life.

Cheers CB
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Neat.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.