EMD F7 in SCALE

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Odyknuck

Re: EMD F7 in SCALE

Post by Odyknuck »

Innovative and well done
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Steggy...good to see you back on-line after your break and once again, moving the F unit closer to completion! Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
djjh87

Post by djjh87 »

Good to see you're back in the shop! This build is awesome and would hope it will inspire others to shop build their locos. Jim
No problems just solutions.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Odyknuck wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:52 am Innovative and well done

Thanks!

ccvstmr wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:36 amSteggy...good to see you back on-line after your break and once again, moving the F unit closer to completion! Carl B.

Thanks! Considering all the medical sturm und drang of the past 16 years, I’m amazed I’ve gotten this far. Goes to show it takes more than a couple of surgeons and Medicare bureaucrats to kill me. :D

djjh87 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:17 amGood to see you're back in the shop! This build is awesome and would hope it will inspire others to shop build their locos. Jim

Thanks!

As always, the first one is the hardest, since that is how you learn what isn’t going to work. Most of the F-unit’s fabrication came after nearly three (intermittent) years of design work—it was a paper locomotive well before any steel got cut. However, drawing from my railroad career experience, once I had a basic layout (“general arrangement”) established and some piece part drawings completed, I built a mockup in my basement shop to verify spacial relationships before I got in too deep:

mockup01.jpg
mockup01.jpg (172.06 KiB) Viewed 2748 times
mockup01.jpg
mockup01.jpg (155.69 KiB) Viewed 2748 times

The above photos were taken about eight months apart. The F-unit was in the mockup stage for about a year before I commenced the full build. Some of what you see above didn’t make it into the final cut once I got the unit to a running state and had put it through some shakedown runs.

I’ve been following some of the other build logs here (including Carl B’s “shorty” builds) and often see parallels to what I’ve been doing and how design and/or fabrication problems got worked out. This sort of hobby tends to give the old brain a lot of exercise of the type that I am convinced will keep it (the old brain) from rotting out and turning its owner into an elected official. :shock:

Once I get this A-unit finished, I’m going to entertain my fantasy of building a powered B-unit. All of the engineering and design work that went into the A-unit’s running chassis is applicable to the B’s chassis, with minor differences in the body mounting arrangements. The B-unit’s body would be much less a challenge to build, since there isn't that “bulldog” nose, headlights, number boards, etc., to detail. :) Ultimately, the decision to build it will be determined by the state of my health, as well as the state of my finances.

Speaking of the B-unit, one time while at the railroad, I mentioned how the A-unit mechanicals would work in a B-unit, giving me a fully-powered MU setup. One of our brilliant members said in reference to the hauling capability of the two units together, “You don’t need it.”

My retort was, “Of course I don’t ‘need it.’ I also don’t ‘need’ to be eating Hershey bars.”

I’m not sure if he got my point. :evil:
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Steggy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:19 pm Speaking of the B-unit, one time while at the railroad, I mentioned how the A-unit mechanicals would work in a B-unit, giving me a fully-powered MU setup. One of our brilliant members said in reference to the hauling capability of the two units together, “You don’t need it.”

My retort was, “Of course I don’t ‘need it.’ I also don’t ‘need’ to be eating Hershey bars.”

I’m not sure if he got my point. :evil:
I'm not, either. My shop is a perfect example of that philosophy. There's a good number of things I have that I "don't need". However, life is more than just going to work and coming home. For those of us who have considerable curiosity about things, having or making "unneeded" things is very much a part of our existence and hoped for longevity.

I have long believed that a person must have a reason to get out of bed each day. I am thankful for my curiosity and willingness to explore. I don't know that I'd still be around (or even care) if I was unable to do so.

I heartily endorse projects that are challenging and keep one's mind active---even when they may not be "needed".

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Harold_V wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:14 pmFor those of us who have considerable curiosity about things, having or making "unneeded" things is very much a part of our existence and hoped for longevity.

Amen!
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Steggy wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:34 am
Harold_V wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:14 pmFor those of us who have considerable curiosity about things, having or making "unneeded" things is very much a part of our existence and hoped for longevity.
Amen!
Absolutely!!
RussN
cwood1218

Post by cwood1218 »

I thought those trucks looked familiar. I have the same ones under Tom Bee's old GP40. Plus i have enough castings for 3 more engines. If I decide to build them. Tom sold the truck pattern to Adam Wright.
Build looks great!
Corey
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

cwood1218 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:01 pm I thought those trucks looked familiar. I have the same ones under Tom Bee's old GP40. Plus i have enough castings for 3 more engines. If I decide to build them. Tom sold the truck pattern to Adam Wright.
To which trucks are you referring? The trucks that are now under the F-unit are modified Pike River parts.
Build looks great!
Thanks!
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

While rummaging through my sizable collection of photos I’ve taken while in the shop, I ran across these while working out the number boards. They were taken last year, right before medical malarkey sidelined me.

number_boards01_reduced.jpg
number_boards01_reduced.jpg (123.02 KiB) Viewed 2522 times

number_boards02_reduced.jpg
number_boards02_reduced.jpg (286.24 KiB) Viewed 2522 times
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Really gorgeous workmanship!
RussN
cwood1218

Post by cwood1218 »

The trucks I was referring to are from much earlier in your build.
Corey