How Big a Tank for Smith Little Torch?

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

Carm

Re: How Big a Tank for Smith Little Torch?

Post by Carm »

To clarify my earlier post (#7); if you own the bottle and go for refill, a swap gets you a filled, dated hydro. Any returned bottle past the expiry gets a retest per DOT. If you insist on keeping the owned bottle you usually pay the recert cost and suffer the downtime.

Be careful purchasing bottles. There was a large tri-county supplier whose owners were approaching retirement and sold off bottles to customers, some of whom had invoice thereof.
Only one problem, they didn't own the bottles.
The new owner set about reclaiming inventory and by law, could appropriate any bottle with his stamp. Invoices amounted to proof of selling stolen goods.

I know of no supplier who allows transfer of their bottle from their loading dock into any enclosed space, whether closed pick-up, car or trunk.
Many states can fine the transport of uncapped cylinders.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I've gone to Airgas and put an argon/CO2 bottle inside my vehicle with a cap, so I didn't realize you could have a problem with that. Not the same as O2 or acetylene, I guess. I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I can't put a big steel rack in my truck with chains, just to go to Airgas.

Now I'm confused about bottle sizes. It looks like the connections are different for different sizes. I did not expect that. Smith sells a kit with 10 cu. ft. tanks, which I thought were 20s. Now I'm wondering what happens if I get 20 cf tanks. Will I be able to use them with the same connectors that work with 10?
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Oxygen cylinders all have the same connection. There is a reason for that, and it's simple.....to keep people from doing something stupid. The oxygen connection is unique, but uniform thru all sizes of bottles.
Sizes are 20, 40, 80, 120, 150, 280, (give or take.....different suppliers rate the cu/ft a bit different) above that...there are things you don't need to deal with.
Again, all are the same connection.

Acetylene cylinders, have a couple of connections.
Sizes 10 & 40, are the small guy.
Sizes 80 & up....the biggun...or maybe....the 'normal' one.... you are probably used to, that takes an 1-1/8" wrench.
You also need a key to open and close the small bottles. No handle, just a male 3/16 square on the valve. A crescent wrench works....put a pain.... buy a key. It makes life easier.

I have a separate set of everything, regulators, mixing chamber, torch & tips, hose and all, for my backpack. (20 cu/ft O2, and 10 cu/ft Acet.)

You can buy just the adapter, to convert your, or any, acetylene regulator to fit the small bottles if ya like....or get another regulator.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

SteveHGraham wrote:I've gone to Airgas and put an argon/CO2 bottle inside my vehicle with a cap, so I didn't realize you could have a problem with that. Not the same as O2 or acetylene, I guess. I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I can't put a big steel rack in my truck with chains, just to go to Airgas.

Now I'm confused about bottle sizes. It looks like the connections are different for different sizes. I did not expect that. Smith sells a kit with 10 cu. ft. tanks, which I thought were 20s. Now I'm wondering what happens if I get 20 cf tanks. Will I be able to use them with the same connectors that work with 10?
There's still an asphyxiation hazard.

...and Bill, you missed the 300 cu. ft.!