Selling Machine Tools?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

mcman56

Selling Machine Tools?

Post by mcman56 »

The husband of one of my wife's friends just dropped dead unexpectedly. She brought up the question of what she is supposed to do if that happens to me. It is a fair question. I have a small hobby shop with lathe, mill, band saws, and some tooling. I don't know anyone who knows anything about machine tools. I also have some mid 70s motorcycles plus some modern bikes. There are some local shops that could handle bikes but I don't know about machine tools. Who could she call that would take care of selling everything with just one call? Would that be an auction house or this lot too small? used machinery dealer? I'm in the Sacramento CA area if that makes a difference.
Bill Shields

Re: Selling Machine Tools?

Post by Bill Shields »

I have instructed my wife to contact the local live steam clubs and farmers, not necessarily in that order.

There are people that will take an entire shop at one bargain basement price...which in reality is the best way to handle it.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

it happened to a friend of mine with a huge workshop in New Hampshire. He'd been collecting tools his whole life and using the machine tools professionally for the second half.
He told me he was stressed that he'd die and leave his wife with the tonnage; he wanted to sell it all himself since he'd stopped working, just to save her from it.
I told him to put stickers on everything with price estimates if that would ease his anxiety, but why sell the tools when you never know when you might want to make or fix something?
Anyway, he + wife were about the same age and both in good health.

Then he had a aneurysm, died in a second flat, and it's exactly as he thought.

The thing is, it really doesn't matter.
She will find her way, sell it piece by piece if she thinks the hassle is worth the extra money.
Or just close the door and leave it to whoever deals with the place when she dies.
Either way, eventually it will all find new owners.
As long as it's all greased up of course, and I'm sure it is.

I told my OH that my old stuff is pretty much worthless; sell it all for a few grand and make someone happy.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

All else fails, hire an auctioneer to sell the stuff. They will take care of everything and when the dust has settled, hand over a check.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
rmac

Post by rmac »

markwesti

Post by markwesti »

I closed my shop about about 15 years ago , it was a small shop . A few mills and lathes , CNC and manual , plus all the stuff from 35 years of being in business . It was really pretty easy , although painful . I just interviewed a few used machine tool dealers (sellers) . It was all gone in one day .
Mark .
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

I purchased my first lathe from a 90+ year old fellow who was doing exactly this, didn't want to leave his wife with the cleanup. I had a deal for the lathe and a friend was purchasing his Bridgeport. On the appointed day we showed up to move the equipment and he said "You can have the lathe, I have a smaller one. But I'm keeping the mill, I've decided I'm not done yet." I so want to be like that if I make it to 90.
John Brock
Andy Rafferty

Post by Andy Rafferty »

As with all life decisions, we must plan for our exit. Please plan so your loved ones do not have to guess what you want. If you live long you get to watch every one die. I have had the honor of disposing of many of my friends and family belongings. My wife and I have a detailed will. My shop and live steam joys are all assigned to a trusted younger friend to dispose. I have discussed this with my family so there is no doubt. My goal is to move my belongings to young people to provide and further their opportunities with live steam and machining. Do Not burden your family nor line the pockets of a double talking lawyer or his auctioneer brother-in-law.
Mark Hockett

Post by Mark Hockett »

Scott Machinery in Sacramento is a local dealer and might be able to help,
https://www.scottmachinery.com/
There are a lot of home shop machinist in Sacramento so posting the stuff for sale on Craigslist or Marketplace might bring in more money.
Mark Hockett