SS Chicago injector cleaning

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Chris Hollands

SS Chicago injector cleaning

Post by Chris Hollands »

Being very close to running the Challenger and having done a couple of test firings I would like to know if someone could do a short pictorial of how to clean and reassemble a Super scale Chicago injector .
I'm sure it would be a help not just to me - thanks for any help
NP317

Re: SS Chicago injector cleaning

Post by NP317 »

First:
If it's new and unused, don't mess with it! Use it.
Second: Someone else needs to provide the info you seek. :D
RussN
KarlKobel

Post by KarlKobel »

For me, it's the check valve that needs attention.
I remove the bottom cap (13mm IIRC) the use a smaller socket (8mm again from memory).
You need to turn down the diameter of the smaller socket in order to fit inside the body.
Remove it carefully as the check valve seat my fall off.
The seat needs to slide up and down freely.
I usually remove the seat and 'clean' the body by gently burnishing it with a piece of paper.
I think the local water causes the brass to grow 'whiskers' (there may be a better, more technical reason that is beyond my knowledge).
Slide the seat with the ridge up and reassemble.

Karl
www.karlkobel.com
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Chris...

Will 2nd Karl Kobels comments about the "free" operation of the injector washer. Must move up/down freely on the stem. AND...the washer ridge faces UP when setting the washer back in place. But above all else...DO NOT DROP THAT WASHER...for fear of losing it under the steaming bay!

In addition...as long as the injector cone is out, look to see if you can see daylight thru all the pairs of little holes in the cone. DO NOT poke anything in the holes to clear an obstruction. Simply blow out whatever contamination might be in there.

Once you're sure the holes are clear, set the washer back in place on the stem and insert the assembly up into the injector body. Tighten "snug". Re-install the cap and tighten "snug". When you turn the steam on, should hear that familiar "swoosh" when the injector picks up.

On occasion, have had to service the injector with a head of steam in the boiler. After making sure there's enough water in the boiler for a few minutes, found I can open the tender feed water valve and let that water cool the injector body so I don't burn my finger tips while the above service is performed. Better than shutting down the loco and waiting for everything to cool off before servicing the injector.

Good luck. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!