LE CRAB

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

benshell

Re: LE CRAB

Post by benshell »

My Crab steams great (on coal) with a 24" tall stack of 1.5" OD steel tubing (about 1.375" ID).

I believe my boiler is about 1" taller than the original design though. John Bailie (who helped me through this whole build) had calculated that this would be a better design. My exhaust line is 5/16 and goes up the stack; I'm not sure what the original design shows for this, but wouldn't dumping the steam exhaust on the ground be a huge waste? I know that propane doesn't need draft the way coal does though.

Attachments
Crab.jpg
Crab.jpg (848.06 KiB) Viewed 1091 times
Ben Shell
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Bill, what is the inside diameter of the stack you are working on? Just curious.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
Steamin

Post by Steamin »

LE Crab, basically a blueprint boiler;
1.5" ID stack , 8" long
Coal fired
Exhaust and blower are simple 1/4" copper tubing under the center of the stack
http://www.neidrauer.com/Crab%20Locomot ... 95_iOS.jpg
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

benshell wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:23 am My Crab steams great (on coal) with a 24" tall stack of 1.5" OD steel tubing (about 1.375" ID).

I believe my boiler is about 1" taller than the original design though. John Bailie (who helped me through this whole build) had calculated that this would be a better design. My exhaust line is 5/16 and goes up the stack; I'm not sure what the original design shows for this, but wouldn't dumping the steam exhaust on the ground be a huge waste? I know that propane doesn't need draft the way coal does though.

That is one unique tender, I like it!!!
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

it is 2.6" diameter - and I fear not the original, since the 'lid' on the boiler is a pipe spherical pipe cap.

since the propane does not need the exhaust draft, I (logically) have no problem with just dumping it over the side. Yes, it is different...

my concerns are

1> stack is too big - going to make some drop in orifii (?) to play around - have been thinking that 1.5" is about where it belongs (you guys have confirmed that). :D

2> need to work out a scheme with the owner regarding burner PSI and stack blower that he can use to 'get around the track' once we have the stack sorted out.

it is my guess that when it was converted to propane, the previous owner just cut the exhaust line off and dumped it over the side (literally).

First time I actually sat with him (doing boiler hydro), took best part of 45 minutes to get up 100 psi of steam -> and struggling to get there. To me the burner setup seems right -> so I think a lot of heat is going straight out the stack.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

Mike Walsh wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:30 pm
benshell wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:23 am My Crab steams great (on coal) with a 24" tall stack of 1.5" OD steel tubing (about 1.375" ID).

That is one unique tender, I like it!!!
I was going to say the same thing! That looks very neat.
-Frank K.
benshell

Post by benshell »

FKreider wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:14 pm
Mike Walsh wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:30 pm That is one unique tender, I like it!!!
I was going to say the same thing! That looks very neat.
Thanks Mike and Frank! It was originally an auxiliary tender built by John Bailie that I acquired and added a coal bunker. The huge dents make it especially unique, a form of weathering added by John with a ball peen hammer!
Ben Shell
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Nothing like a solid, basic loco with which you can go out and have fun.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.