Enco 109-1005 (Grizzly 4015/ HQ400) improvements

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

nate

Enco 109-1005 (Grizzly 4015/ HQ400) improvements

Post by nate »

Hi all,
I have a well-used, third-hand Enco 3-in-1 9x20. The obvious shortcomings are the use of the half-nut for the ... y-axis, I guess? when milling, and the mediocre 3-jaw chuck, plus the obvious "milling vise"/ compound and height of tool when trying to mill.

I've rested the compound on 3-2-1 blocks to get things within range of the milling spindle, but it doesn't feel terribly rigid as I can't get a 3/8-16 bolt through a 3-2-1 with 5/16" holes. I got a Grizzly 4" cross-sliding vise to add some height, but it doesn't feel too rigid (more drill press quality). Suggestions?

Also, anyone know where i can get a steady rest? I need to bore a 6" long tube, and I'm getting 0.020" runout at the far end just because the chuck is so... wonky.

Oh, and one more thing. The Z-axis feed (lathe ... y on the mill, I guess) has a ton of backlash in the half nut. ANy "best practices" past just getting the zero in the direction you intend to cut, and being cognizant of the amount there? Has anyone found a good left hand T20x4 nut supplier, so Ic ould cut a new halfnut for less than the hundreds of dollars Grizzly wants for one (that's not even in stock)?

Thanks!
Torch

Re: Enco 109-1005 (Grizzly 4015/ HQ400) improvements

Post by Torch »

I'm not certain if the HQ400 used the same shafts as the HQ800, but I bet it's a custom nut with a metric diameter and an inch pitch. Also, it may well be a metric 30° trapezoidal thread rather than a 29° Acme. Measure it carefully before having something cut.

It might actually be cheaper to buy a length of Acme all-thread and a matching tap to make your own replacement lead screw and nut.
nate

Re: Enco 109-1005 (Grizzly 4015/ HQ400) improvements

Post by nate »

This one appears to be pretty on-the-nose metric; it makes more sense to be 4mm pitch than .160" (which lets me know to expect rounding error using the lead screw for axial position). I considered buying a new pair - nuts and lead screw - but I doubt I'd be able to accurately machine the end that enters the gearbox.

If nothing else, it's a good "home" lathe, and I'll rent time at a Makerspace if the limitations start exceeding my limitations. Dallas has a couple good options.

Thanks for the response!