So You Want To Cut Some Metal?

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

rbertalotto

So You Want To Cut Some Metal?

Post by rbertalotto »

Here is a quick video on a new way to cut metal in your shop. There are many ways a fabricator can now cut steel efficiently. Bandsaws, Plasma Cutters, Oxy/Acetylene, Angle Grinder with a Cut-Off Wheel..... even a Hack Saw will do! But there is something relatively new and VERY inexpensive to use in the shop to cut metal.
(Note: I mess up on my thickness conversation...Meant to say it might cut 1/2" but it will do 3/8".......)
Thanks for watching! Be sure to visit my web page for more garage workshop adventures...www.rvbprecision.com

https://youtu.be/iMA6TwEWaBc
Glenn Brooks

Re: So You Want To Cut Some Metal?

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Be interesting to see if this fellow has all his fingers left and his bones intact on his next video after he tries to cut some 3/8 inch plate with this metal cutting skill saw. Can’t image a more dangerous tool.
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
rbertalotto

Post by rbertalotto »

Glenn, you know not of what you speak...Technology waits for no one.....The saw has performed admirably....and I can still count to ten....
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:35 pm Can’t image a more dangerous tool.
How about an overarm wood saw. Climb cuts, unlike a skill saw.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
rbertalotto

Post by rbertalotto »

There are a number of recently released sliding miter saws for metal. If you could slow down a radial arm saw, that would be the ticket. An industrial 3 phase version with a VFD would work great.
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

I bought a Milwaukee Metal Saw a long time ago, it was a lot cheaper then:

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-6370-2 ... 311&sr=8-3

It has done lotsa cutting since, including the metal for two turntables:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu7Cou5zVi0

I have to build a bridge over a waterfall, and will use that saw to cut many of the, to be MIG welded, components.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

All power saws are dangerous.
All metal cutting is dangerous too.

We do it anyway.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Getting out of bed can be dangerous too.
Cut metal anyway.
Russ
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

What was the point of that video, other than to implore the viewer to subscribe so the poster can get some psychological strokes and/or a Google remunerative reward?

Cutting steel with what amounts to a circular saw is a process that’s been around for years. Way back in my railroad days (1970s), I did a mod on an Amtrak coach that involved cutting a small section out of the stainless steel carbody deck inside one of the lavatories. I used a hefty Skilsaw with an abrasive wheel in it to plunge into the deck and cut out the piece. Only a little cleanup was needed to finish the cut. The Amtrak car knocker who was assigned to work with me couldn’t understand why I didn’t use a torch, and was all-too-glad to let me do the slicing...instead of time-slipping me. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

NP317 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:44 amGetting out of bed can be dangerous too.
...especially in the middle of the night when your bladder is calling and you can’t see your shoes laying in the middle of the floor. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D