ames triplex 1148

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Torch

Re: ames triplex 1148

Post by Torch »

I just noticed the pictures you added to your earlier post. It sure looks in nice shape! Did you make those pulleys, or did they clean up that shiny?
boilerguy59

Post by boilerguy59 »

they were made
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

If you are doing smaller parts it is a handy machine. My dad had one when he built a CliShay. He still had it when he started a Pacific. He machined the saddle for his cylinders on the Triplex.

If Harbor Freight and Wen can get $900 for their "compact bench mill" treating a Triplex like it only worth scrap is silliness. No you won't run a production shop or make aircraft parts with it, but somebody out there wants it.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

pat1027 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:52 pm If Harbor Freight and Wen can get $900 for their "compact bench mill" treating a Triplex like it only worth scrap is silliness.
No, it isn't silliness. It's what you can expect when NO useable information is provided for readers so they can provide a reasonable response. How was anyone to know that this offering wasn't dragged out of a lake, or stored out of doors for several years. $2 would be quite reasonable in my opinion.

Want a more reasonable offer? Provide details. Images are always a good idea. The original post was a akin to someone asking how long is a rope?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
boilerguy59

Post by boilerguy59 »

I wanted to see if there was any interest in this machine more info was coming later I deal in anvils and if I said I have a Hay Budden I would get some questions I thought this was a friendly group
Torch

Post by Torch »

Oh they're friendly enough. In fact, I doubt you'll find anyone anywhere who spends more of his time helping others than Harold there.

I'm sure you will acknowledge there is more than one difference between an anvil and a machine tool. Comparatively little can really go wrong with an anvil. Anvils are not really prized for their precision. Anvils are supposed to be immobile when you hit them with a hammer; in fact, you are supposed to hit them with a hammer - whereas hitting a machine tool with a hammer is generally avoided.

Now, I think if you had worded your original question a little differently, you might have gotten some slightly different responses. Maybe if you had led with something like "I have a fully restored Ames Triplex 1148 and am seeking some advice how much it might be worth. Pictures to follow." then the original responses would have been more useful to you.

But that's just my 2¢. Cheap -- but friendly -- advice for next time. Good luck with the sale, it does look nice from here.
boilerguy59

Post by boilerguy59 »

I guess I am alittle touchy must be the blacksmith in me.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

We are friendly, but we are also wary of offering $ for things sight unseen.

As Harold said, things have been offered that look like they have been dredged up from under a river.

Some of us have also been scammed by people who "just join" to sell something, then disappear with $ without delivering the item.

Hence, my offer of $2 was a bit tongue in cheek, but did reflect what, sight unseen, an offer for an unseen item, in an unknown location, with unknown shipping costs, may be worth.

It is a nice machine, and looks like it is in good shape.

What it is worth is what someone is willing to pay, which could include crating and shipping.

So ..do you want local pickup only? Willing to pack, crate and ship?

Do you have a way to lift into a truck?
Last edited by Bill Shields on Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
boilerguy59

Post by boilerguy59 »

local only and I know that cuts me odds when I sell blacksmith tools I like to have the buyer try them and leave happy life is too short any other way.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

boilerguy59 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:14 pm I thought this was a friendly group
Oh, it is! Fact is, those who had been troublesome have long since left the board.

The problem here is that you had posted in such a way that no one but you knows what you were offering. It's totally unreasonable to ask if anyone might be interested in a machine when they have no clue about its condition. It's like oats. You may find interest in selling them when they're nice and fresh, but if they've been run through the horse, that might not be true. That should be a part of any inquiry made---so readers have a sense of direction. Bill's comments ring true.

Maybe you can look at this by thinking of an anvil. Say, for example, a guy posts that he has a Hay Budden he might sale, and asks for interest, but fails to make mention that the anvil is fully rusted and pitted, with the horn badly deformed and the Hardy hole beaten over so badly it won't accept those dandy little devices placed within. Oh, yeah, the edges are also overly rounded, but no mention. Would you still see it the same way you see this issue?

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
boilerguy59

Post by boilerguy59 »

I understand but when that happens as it has many times I ask for picts and info not smart retorts. I guess that is just me.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

boilerguy59 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:35 am I understand but when that happens as it has many times I ask for picts and info not smart retorts. I guess that is just me.
You're missing the point. By being open and honest, all the game playing can be avoided. It's rather aggravating to read an offering that discloses nothing-----and often gives the impression that one is being gamed (trolled). In such a circumstance, you should expect others to provide comments that you may not enjoy. After all, who set the rules in the offering? You can avoid all of this by simply providing details up front. Those who have a sincere interest will respond and those who don't will move on. I try to encourage that mode of operation on this board. If nothing else, it eliminates the need for me to respond when things go pear shaped, like they did with this thread.

H