ER40 Collet Holder with 1.0" Straight Shank Drawbar Thread

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

joelpend

ER40 Collet Holder with 1.0" Straight Shank Drawbar Thread

Post by joelpend »

I have a ER40 Collet Holder that has a 1" straight shank with a threaded hole in the shank for a drawbar. The specs state threaded for a M16 drawbar. I need to order a correct thread to match and I have nothing on hand to check the TPI. Can someone tell me what is the standard for a M16 drawbar. Hoping this is an easy answer for someone. M16 x 2.0 maybe but it looks coarser to my eye. Thanks.
ChipMaker4130

Re: ER40 Collet Holder with 1.0" Straight Shank Drawbar Thread

Post by ChipMaker4130 »

At the very least, take it to the hardware store and find a bolt that fits! The chinese don't always adhere to the western world's standards, so the smart thing to do is MAKE SURE.
arborist

Post by arborist »

Screw a piece of 5/8" wood dowel into it. Oil it up and fill with hot melt glue. Unscrew when the glue cools. Measure with a screw pitch gauge. It should be between 12tpi and 13tpi. My guess is 12.7tpi.

I have never seen a metric thread that is coarser than standard coarse pitch. Do you know of any UN thread that is coarser for a given diameter than UNC?
joelpend

Post by joelpend »

Definitely not a M16 x 2.0. I bored the treads out with carbide and am taking a different route. If the Chinese can make it with a non metric shank (1.000") then why the heck can't they put a thread in the shank that is usable ?
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Why, pray tell, does a straight shank tool holder require a draw bar???
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Wolfgang wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:22 pm Why, pray tell, does a straight shank tool holder require a draw bar???
Excellent question.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I couldn't make sense of the opening post either as far as what wat trying to be accomplished.

The the internal thread and screw acts as an adjustable dead stop for tool or work holding or consistent locating of either. If you need through shank holding of longer items you simply remove the screw.

Kind of reminded me of the "why can't I get two tool holders on my QCTP at the same time" question that pops up occasionally.

A bit confusing...
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Giggle.. I just have to grin at the concept of TPI on a metric thread.

The usual term in the metric world is PITCH

As for the QCTP question, I once asked a fellow that worked for a company that made a competitor to the ALORIS...(DTM) -> his reply was that having the ability to lock in more than one block at a time is not a consideration, since it is more a function of the block than the tool post. :mrgreen:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
arborist

Post by arborist »

Bill Shields wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:33 pm Giggle.. I just have to grin at the concept of TPI on a metric thread.
To quote Frankie Howard, 'titter ye not'. If you had a metric thread to identify and only an imperial thread pitch gauge, knowing the metric thread is bigger than one tpi and smaller than another tpi (i.e. it lies between the two) would be a great help.

Dickson-style tool posts often come with three stations. You can use two of them at once.
Lew Hartswick

Post by Lew Hartswick »

<Dickson-style tool posts often come with three stations. You can use two of them at once.>
:-) Love that MH90 :-)
...lew...
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I should have been clearer about toolposts.

I was referring to tool posts that have ONE locking lever for multiple tool locations as per ALORIS and similar.

The Dickson style have separate locks for each block and by this advantage are clearly superior then it comes to holding more than one block at a time
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
joelpend

Post by joelpend »

I am using this for a one of a kind "special" application. The 1" shank rides in 2 pillow block bearings. I needed a smaller 14mm shaft on the end to mate to a flexible coupler that is 12mm on the other end connecting to a gear motor. An over engineered "heavy" duty cartridge case prep machine. I hold the LE Wilson case holders in a 1" ER40 collet for neck turning cases. I had this very nice gear motor sitting around for 20 years and just had to find a use for it. Yea, I know.