mini trip

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Steam Engine Dan

mini trip

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

Hi Everyone, here is a photo i wanted to share of a mini trip i took with my parents to Schuylkill Haven Station in Schuylkill Haven PA. the station is owned and operated by the Reading & Nothern Railroad. my good friend Adam Madlinger led me on to this station on the note that owner/operator Andy Muller had an impressive Live Steam Locomotive Collection. well we were greatly impressed that andy had close to almost 10 locomotives of different scales displayed in the station. the crown jewel was a 7.25 gauge model of Strasburg 2-10-0 number 90 built by Fred Fox. this engine was a visitor to NJLS way back in the 80's. ive heard so many stories of it from my father and from fellow NJLS member about it, so to actually see it was fantastic. fred did such a wonderful job on it, right down to the 80's style paint scheme that the real 90 had back in the 80's. there was also some 4 3/4 inch gauge locomotives. a CNR 4-8-4, a RDNG 4-8-2, a PRR K4 4-6-2 and a free lance 4-6-2. other 1.5 engines included, a 4-4-0 and a big 4-6-2 pacific on rollers. as well as other neat railroadiana on display.

if you ever get a chance to visit, do it. you will not be disappointed. here is a photo. i have more photos but chaski is being weird about letting me upload the rest.
Attachments
IMG_1416 (2).jpg
IMG_1416 (2).jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 2997 times
Charles T. McCullough

Re: mini trip

Post by Charles T. McCullough »

Breath taking!
backyardrails

Post by backyardrails »

Dan
Do you have photo of the CNR 4-8-4?
Bernie
Steam Engine Dan

backyardrails wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:16 pm Dan
Do you have photo of the CNR 4-8-4?
Bernie
yea i do bernie, but chaski won't let me upload it. i keep getting a message saying my picture file is too big.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Steam Engine Dan wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:13 pm yea i do bernie, but chaski won't let me upload it. i keep getting a message saying my picture file is too big.
Reduce it. That's not asking too much from readers who get this board free of charge and free of advertising. Why risk losing that wonderful gift?

Oversized pictures aren't allowed on the board, nor are they necessary. Posting unnecessarily large pictures demands greater storage space, which isn't free. Please keep in mind, aside from the contributions offered to the owner of this board, it is supported fully at his expense.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

picture file is too big.
I have been using the free image editor IrfanView for many years to view images, edit their size, crop, add text, etc. It has served me well for almost all of my image editing needs.
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

By all means, please post those images! If you can't reduce them,send them to me in an email and I'll happily resize them. Like the others, I NEED to see these locomotives!
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

The problem these days is that even basic cameras, and phones, produce image files which are WAY too hi-Rez for anything but commercial graphics.
I regularly have to tell my friends, don't send me a 14Mb photo of your bird, I'm not National Geographic, 140kb will do just fine.
I'm also regularly ignored.

I've also use IrfanView for years. I use an old version so I'm sure the newer versions are better, but it does everything I need.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

gwrdriver wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:31 pm I'm also regularly ignored.
The very reason why the board started limiting size on images.
While it was many years ago, I still remember the day I had to resize a posted image that was over 3,000 pixels in width. That resulted in readers having to scroll side to side in order to read all of the posts on the page of the thread in which it was posted. At that point in time, anything larger than 1024 pixels in width caused that to happen. Today monitors are different and are more forgiving. To add insult to injury, this was back in the day when dialups were commonplace, so not only was it inconvenient for those who could still download the page, it resulted in eliminating some readers who didn't have a fast connection.

I received a private message from a concerned reader that my comments above, post #5, were rather harsh. They were not intended to be, nor were they directed towards anyone in particular, but readers need to understand that ownership of this board isn't carved in stone. It has been solicited by individuals who see it as nothing more than a means to make money, and have no interest in promoting the subject matter as we know it. Should conditions prevail that might give the owner cause to sell would spell a complete disaster for those of us who enjoy this venue, with its total absence of popups and other advertising and the luxury of private messages, which are some of the features that are eliminated immediately. If you subscribe to some of the other venues, you most likely already understand what I'm trying to say.

I feel a need to state that I have NO financial interest in this board. Like all others who help in its operation, I do it gratis, my only interest is in hoping to see it thrive and operate in the manner we have all become accustomed. No spam, complete privacy and a polite atmosphere.

It has been said that if people don't self regulate, they will be regulated.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Steam Engine Dan

PRR5406 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:55 am By all means, please post those images! If you can't reduce them,send them to me in an email and I'll happily resize them. Like the others, I NEED to see these locomotives!
ill send them to you in an message PRR5406. hang on a second.
Steam Engine Dan

here is rare footage courtesy of Steve Bratina and David Oram of Stan Grigg's 1" scale CNR 4-8-4 number 6121 under steam in his basement. special thanks goes to Steve for telling me about this footage. this is the same CNR 6121 on display at Schuylkill Haven Station in PA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1G9DOR3UWM

Dan
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Must have been a delight on the rails!
RussN