Question to Builders

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Sandiapaul

Re: Question to Builders

Post by Sandiapaul »

There was another company, Milled Shapes that is long gone too. And recently a company in the UK, Eileen's Emporium, that had a nice selection of small stuff. Don't discount the wants of other modelers too, the small scale live steamers and even the model railroad guys too. I would love to see all the stuff Special Shapes and Milled Shapes had back and available. This place in Germany has some stuff:
https://knupfer.info/shop/index.php/m-p-15.html
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

There was a time when I could get K&S/Special Shapes 1/4 x 1/4 x .030" brass angle...in 36" lengths! Used this material/shape to make car ladders. Usually qty=4 ladders per car. If I didn't want to splice 12" lengths together...a couple pieces from a 36" length was sufficient to make (1) ladder assembly. Don't have any need for this material now, but something might come up. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Dave_Johnson

Post by Dave_Johnson »

Z bracing for outside braced box and stock cars.
DaveD

Post by DaveD »

Brass angle, 3/8" legs, 1/16" thick, up to 6 feet long. The smallest I can find in the US is 1/2" legs at that thickness. Many places in the UK advertise it, but I haven't found anyone who ships to the US.
Dave Dalton
JKreider

Post by JKreider »

On modern steam locomotives like the Berkshire, 2-1/4 x 2-1/4 x 1/4 tee was used for the running board edges, cab, headlight step edge, etc.
This equates to 9/32 x 9/32 x 1/32 scale tee which was not commercially available so I used 5/16 x 5/16 x 1/32.
This would I think be a well-used size to make.
3/16 half-round for beading would be a good size.
For the tender tank, cab, etc. angle, I used the following sizes;
3/16 x 3/16 x 1/32
5/16 x 5/16 x .05
3/8 x 3/8 x 1/16
¾ x ¾ x 1/16
Varying widths for the angle were cut from the above as needed.
Jim Kreider
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

Dave_Johnson wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:56 am Z bracing for outside braced box and stock cars.
This would be nice, it's also found horizontally acting as a seal between the roof and side sheets of covered hoppers. The stuff I've seen has about 3" flanges with a 4" web, so 0.375" x 0.500"x 0.375" would be close for 1.5" scale.
John Brock