4 x 6 bandsaw conversion for vertical work

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

c7z06

4 x 6 bandsaw conversion for vertical work

Post by c7z06 »

Since getting my 7 x 12 Jet bandsaw, I reasoned that I would probably never again be using my little 4 x 6 for horizontal cut-off work. I decided to convert it for strictly vertical cutting.

I made guide adapters to take the twist out of the blade, giving me a throat depth of just over 5 inches. I swapped out the 1/3 hp Dayton motor for a 3/4 hp Baldor. The original motor mount and even the belt both fit after the conversion. Table and table support tube slide forward to access the blade. Mounting brackets for the saw and motor mount were fabricated from 2" x 2" x 3/16" angle iron, and welded to a 1/4" steel support plate. As a final step I installed a new Lenox bi-metal blade.

4x6a.jpg
4x6a.jpg (542.59 KiB) Viewed 943 times
4x6b.jpg
4x6b.jpg (568.31 KiB) Viewed 943 times
4x6c.jpg
4x6c.jpg (659.84 KiB) Viewed 943 times
4x6d.jpg
4x6d.jpg (635.24 KiB) Viewed 943 times
gwrdriver

Re: 4 x 6 bandsaw conversion for vertical work

Post by gwrdriver »

I've considered doing the same conversion, and while I haven't yet added a table, I do use my saw in the vertical for rough cutting on a fairly regular basis, almost more than in the horizontal. The drawback I run into is that on wide pieces (sheet metals etc) the throat quickly limits the depth you can cut into the sheet. I usually manage to find a dodge to complete the cut, but not always, and not always on the saw. If you have other ways of cutting wide sheet stock (or don't cut wide sheet) it's a very handy conversion.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN