Broken Taps

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

tornitore45

Re: Broken Taps

Post by tornitore45 »

Just an idea. Since is a through hole, I would cut indentation on the tip of a dowel. As many indentations as the No of flutes and try to drive the tap out from the back. Less risk to bugger the hole.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Excellent advice if you want to burn it out.

Any place that has a WEDM machine will most likely have an EDM drill if you want to go that way.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
tetramachine

Post by tetramachine »

Second the ball end mill. If the tap protrudes at all above the surface, here's the way I have done a few times, 100% success.
Take a piece of steel scrap, drill a hole thru the size of the tap, then drill a hole say 1/4 but not thru, leaving a shoulder at the bottom. Now mig weld the hole full. If all went right, you just unscrew the scrap and out comes the tap. And the AL should be unharmed.
My wheels don't slow me down
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Take a couple of days off (from your current project), build yourself a simple tapping stand, and eliminate 99% of broken taps. I did and it reduced my small tap (#0 to 1/4") hand-tapping breakage to Zero. (I also always use a good tapping fluid.)
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Steamer Al

Post by Steamer Al »

I use one of these, and have never broken a tap with it. I use it in the lathe as well for tapping small holes

Im not affiliated with KBC tools, other than having spent a few paycheques there over the years...

https://www.kbctools.ca/itemdetail/1-397-513

Alex
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

apm wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:33 pm Years back when I had no kids and a lot more free time I thought a flat rate tap removal business would be a cool model. Idea being that the customer ships you part and a return label you burn it out with an EDM tap burner and ship back for a fee. It seemed like quite the little niche side gig. Is there anyone doing this. There's a lot off parts I would happily pay $50 for a tap to be removed over the years.
I offered such a service perhaps 25 years ago by sending a FAX to every business I thought could use my services. Got no takers.

Over the years I have done jobs for friends who broke taps in British model engine castings, or forgot lubrication holes in heat treated 17-4 PH shafts.

Where are you located? I live 1 hour's drive south west of Toronto.
ToddMiller

Post by ToddMiller »

I second the alum method Ironflyer mentions. I used it recently in the same situation, a broken coated tap in a bronze part. I put the alum solution in a double boiler to keep it warm without drying out. I bought my alum from a farm store that sold pickling supplies, it was $9.00 a pound. The spice aisle was $5.00 for a couple tablespoons. I am set for life.
RET

Post by RET »

Hi,

A long time ago I asked my dentist if I could get a couple of his used diamond burrs. He gave me a few and I've used the cylindrical ones with a Dremel to remove a couple of taps without damaging the hole. They work very well, but its a slow process.

What works even better is to not break the tap in the first place!

For instance, if you want to tap #5-40, then use #4-40 as a pilot tap to remove some of the material first, before going through with the #5-40 tap. Also, since I have taper, plug and bottoming taps for all the common sizes I use including #0-80 (all stored in a hardwood block for easy access), I work back and forth with each one to remove material in stages. Don't forget to use a good tapping compound, it makes a great difference. Varsol works perfectly for aluminum.

For the larger sizes, there is #6-32, #8-32 and #10-32 so you can use the same technique there. I don't use # 6-32 because that size tap is the easiest to break and #5-40 is 1/8" dia. anyway.

I have always used the above techniques, so I don't break very many taps.

Richard Trounce.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

And buy quality ones and don't hesitate to toss one in the bin if it seems the slightest bit dull.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:39 pm And buy quality ones and don't hesitate to toss one in the bin if it seems the slightest bit dull.
the trick to not breaking taps is to throw a lot away :D

have a good friend (now deceased) who had 48 holes to tap 2-56 in his cast iron cylinder castings (this in 1950)

he purchased 48 taps (all carbon steel)

built a guide to be sure they got started

one hole -> one tap -> he got through it driving them with a pin wrench with a rubber band wrapped around the outside for grip

i have a box full of 'slightly used' 2-56 taps that are older than i am....and a very nice looking semi-finished loco
Too many things going on to bother listing them.