Elesco pump drawings

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

_Andrew_

Re: Elesco pump drawings

Post by _Andrew_ »

Do you have also drawings for the common y strainer that was often used?
Attachments
elesco plumbing.jpg
elesco plumbing.jpg (96.42 KiB) Viewed 2897 times
NYC 2933 y strainer.JPG
NYC 2933 y strainer.JPG (390.16 KiB) Viewed 2897 times
amadlinger

Post by amadlinger »

Jimi, thank you!

Don, absolutely...check your PM's.

Andrew, I am also looking for more info on those Y strainers; if anyone has anything on them I'd be most appreciative.

Sincerely,
Adam
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

call up the transportation museum in St Louis and see if they will let you borrow the real one off 2933. :wink:

or there are two canadian engines in scranton where you could just walk up with a tape measure, well actually 3 if you count the suburban tank engine. :wink:
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

well i just tried doin a google seach a minute ago and this was all i could find on drawings. hope they help. :D
Attachments
Elesco%20FWH.jpg
Elesco%20FWH.jpg (22.36 KiB) Viewed 2772 times
Piping3.jpg
Piping3.jpg (64.16 KiB) Viewed 2772 times
apm

Post by apm »

_Andrew_ wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:13 am Do you have also drawings for the common y strainer that was often used?
Those are just common y-strainers still in use today. If you need a CAD model or drawing they are readily available online. McMaster is probably the first place I'd look. They offer 3D and 2D CAD models of pretty much every part they sell for those of us who will design them into bigger machinery. The other option would be to go to the websites of the companies that make them. Keckley and Mueller are some of the first that come to mind but the Google search on Y-strainers will yield tons of options out there.
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

The Y shaped "strainer" is also a fitting that is used to wash the tube bundle out. Probably when the locomotive is down for a boiler wash. I think that I have a drawing somewhere that shows the hose fitting that screws into it.
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
amadlinger

Post by amadlinger »

Hi Andy,

Any info you could provide would be great. It's close to, but not exactly the same as a standard commercial y-strainer. Although I have used the technique of getting 3D models from McMaster, etc as starting points for other components in the past (e.g. the large diameter elbows at the exhaust steam inlet to the heater) and it has worked well.

Sincerely,
Adam
RThomp

Post by RThomp »

I think the commercially available y strainer 3d models would be darn close, to the point no one could really tell. Also in looking at the pics above, the y strainers are slightly different between the NYC and whatever the top prototype is.
Would you make it as a lost wax casting that slides over a 5/16 delivery line or just drill it and tap on each end for 5/16 mtp ?
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

I found the Elesco instruction book.

That part that looks like a strainer is not a strainer. It’s a heater washout connection. There is a hose fitting that screws into it that doesn’t connect to the downstream side.

The heater was probably washed out when the boiler was washed.

I can’t get the photos to load. I emailed them to Adam. Maybe he’ll have better luck uploading them.

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.