Okadee blow downs

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

hoppercar

Okadee blow downs

Post by hoppercar »

I'm trying to come up and with a way to work my super scale okadee blow down valves from the cab ??....as these valves have an operating lever that lifts straight up.....I need something like a tumbling lever, that would lift it up, and the operating lever in the cab will pull straight back ...I hope that makes sense ?...kinda like your locomotive valve gear bell crank.....
cbrew

Re: Okadee blow downs

Post by cbrew »

I have thought about this very issue, I put one up front and the other on the rear,, the rear is easy, but front may just get a rod up to the running board.. i will be interested to see what you come up with
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Old school mechanical cocks use a rocker type fulcrum lever. Actuated from the cab. The lever in the cab pushes forward, or pulls back, rotates the fulcrum, which eventually pushes a flat actuating bar forwards and backwards at the cocks to open or close them. Look at any older loco and you’ll see the vertical part of the fulcrum, either in front of, or behind the cylinder.

Attaches to the actuating bar at one single point. It doesn’t have to move much.

If I understand your question, this might be an answer.

The lever in the cab looks and functions essentially like the blowdown actuating levers.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Sorry, just thinking this through again. The cock lever used a straight vertical bar rotating at its middle from a bearing on the frame. Your app would use a 90 degree fulcrum rotating again at the frame. L shaped. Or 90 degree levers. Cab actuating lever would be vertical, the cock lever would be horizontal. You are on the right track.