Building Allen Models 0 4 0 Yard Engine

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

cdbailey1313

Building Allen Models 0 4 0 Yard Engine

Post by cdbailey1313 »

Hello,
New to the forum so please bear with me. Early last year I started building an Allen Models 0 4 0 Yard Engine. I have purchased the boiler from Ridge Loco works and I am thru the Spring Rigging and Equalization section. I mainly wanted to reach out and see how many others were building this model so I can exchange notes, ideas, and problems. After putting in more than a year on the project I am very happy with my decision to go with Allen models as support from Steve has been nothing short of fantastic. Since I am a amateur machinist this is a model I can complete with the limited skill set I have and also provide challenge for me. Look forward to hearing one else who is working on one of these yard engines. Thanks and I look forward to future dialogue.
Dan B.
RThomp

Re: Building Allen Models 0 4 0 Yard Engine

Post by RThomp »

congrats!
Maybe consider making a build log post and over time updating it with photos and such showing the locomotive as you build it. I'm sure others would be very interested in following it and if you ran into questions you'd get feedback on them etc.
318J

Post by 318J »

I'm building one as well.... er.. rather more just buying parts and planning on building one right now. I have the prints and numerous parts but haven't gotten far into the actual building aspect too far yet.
-Sam
Boilermaker, Pipefitter, former Railroader
"Preserving the Past and Ensuring Our Future"
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Welcome

There are a lot of us who have built models based on Allen designs and derivatives thereof.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Welcome aboard and enjoy building the new toy. I too started in this venture about 5 months ago building a Logger Mikado project. As you say they can be challenging at times however enjoyable.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Welcome Dan B.
As others have encouraged, please start a Build Log here on Chaski.
Several of us have done so, inspired by others here.

I look forward to seeing your work and progress.
There is ALWAYS something inspiring and useful to learn from our fellow hobbyists here!
RussN
Last edited by NP317 on Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

I've made a bunch of parts for those locomotives. If you have any questions, just ask.

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
RThomp

Post by RThomp »

could do an 0-6-0 like the Morehead and Norfolk 12 at Age of steam from Allen castings 0-4-0 castings.
https://cs.trains.com/ctr/b/mileposts/a ... no-12.aspx
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Best thing for someone building their first steam locomotive is to do exactly what the original poster has done, and that is to build a proven design that is of a smaller, simpler locomotive type. I would not recommend any first time builder attempt any modifications to the boiler or running gear. Cosmetic stuff like domes, paint scheme, cab type, accessories, etc... change that however you like.
RThomp

Post by RThomp »

For sure agree with Pontiacguy on a first build, keep it simple!
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

In addition to the above comments, with which I wholeheartedly agree -> What do you have for transportation of the finished loco?

there are a LOT of similar locos out there, based on what is commonly called 'Mercer Camelback 0-4-0' should you want to search.
Last edited by Bill Shields on Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

I just came across my preliminary sketch for the Allen 0-4-0. It is dated February 18, 2010. The first one I built was finished in December 2015.
Attachments
IMG_5214.JPG