Locomotive Identification

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Odyknuck

Re: Locomotive Identification

Post by Odyknuck »

Looks like a nice restoration project as everything appears to be there. Good luck with it and keep us posted.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

The more I look at the pictures the engine seems very familiar. Back in the early 1970’s when I was going to college in Illinois I visited Dave Boyd in Clarendon Hills, Illinois. He had a Hudson under construction that looked exactly the the one in the pictures. Mr. Boyd was also building a Big Boy at the same time. I believe he sadly passed away before completing either of the locomotives.
Keith
mmichaud1972

Post by mmichaud1972 »

Good info to know. The locomotive was purchased out of Illinois, maybe 4-5 years ago. It was from an estate. Not much information was known from the seller.

Mike
Allen Mogul
Allen Chloe
Fitchburg and Northern
Baldwin #5
Allen American
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Dave Boyd's obit is in the January, 1991 Modeltec. He died December 18, 1990, at the age of 72 years. He had build a 1" scale 4-6-2, 1-1/2" scale 4-6-4 and an almost completed 4-8-8-4.

An article "Moving the Big Boy" in December 1987 Modeltec tells how he got the Big Boy out of his basement, but doesn't mention any other locomotives.

According to the Live Steam and Outdoor Railroading index, there is an article on his Big Boy in the December, 1983 issue, but my copy is currently MIA. maybe it would mention another locomotive?

His obit in Live Steam is not as complete as the one in Modeltec.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Live Steam Magazine July 1968 Page 3 shows a picture of Mr. Boyd and his Hudson. Looking closely I am positive that this is the locomotive in question.
Mr. Boyd was a very fine gentleman and was very kind to me when I visited. I also remember seeing a 3/4” scale Coventry 0-6-0 in his shop.

Keith
cwood1218

Post by cwood1218 »

I just recently purchased the Big Boy from Dick Parker who has had it stored since Dave boyd's passing. Nothing has been done to the engine since he passed. I have since cleaned and painted to trailing truck, disassembled and cleaned the cylinders and have gotten the rear engine to run on air. But have figured out today there is a quartering problem with the #1 drive on the rear engine. Hope to be able to test steam it next summer. There are pictures on the Facebook group for the 4-6-6-4 and 4-8-8-4 builders.