Pennsylvania A3 Switcher Video Series

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

rmac

Pennsylvania A3 Switcher Video Series

Post by rmac »

Some of you may remember the YouTuber "Blondihacks", who checked in here a couple of years ago looking for help fixing a leaky boiler. She recently started a video series on building a Pennsylvania A3 Switcher in 3-1/2" gauge. For anybody interested, the first installment in the series is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiAWsopdr0A

-- Russell Mac
RThomp

Re: Pennsylvania A3 Switcher Video Series

Post by RThomp »

Her channel is great and informative!
Wish someone would do a build series like that on a 7.5 gauge locomotive like a Allen Mogul or chloe.
Pwallace

Post by Pwallace »

She talks about why she chose that particular build in that scale. The 0-4-0 is close enough to the 0-6-0 she would like to build because it was used where she is located and there is a nearby park that with that scale that works with her existing transportation.

She throws some shade on the bigger gauges but as I look the window at 12” gauge surrounding the house, I realize she is not exactly wrong.

I would like to see the design become a 0-6-0. That book is also difficult to get ahold of at the moment.

Post by 6175 »

RThomp
Have you seen the Steam Channel on Youtube? They currently have a build going on a Alco Northern although it seems to have slowed down a bit...
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

There's a stark difference between the two. Quinn is quite literally reaching out her hand saying "hey, come with me and watch how I build this engine... And I'll explain my learnings and reasonings as we go along," while Steam Channel is paying a machine shop to build their locomotive for them, providing assembly updates - last I checked.

I think it's no mystery as to why Quinn has done so well in her many video series. While I've been working on a little bit of silver soldering, holding my breath, hoping that I don't destroy my boiler while I make repairs - her latest video posted over the weekend has really helped me feel more comfortable with silver soldering. I have been looking for resources to help me feel more confident and I haven't been able to find any, other than words of encouragement.
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Not to derail the topic, but Wayne Godschall had so much success with the H10s series he produced, he was contemplating the PRR B6sb 0-6-0 as a similar line. I don't think it got much farther than an idea. What I'd like to see Wayne produce would be the PRR/LIRR G5s 4-6-0 in mass production, ala' the Consolidations.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
RThomp

Post by RThomp »

I think various companies have tried doing bolt together or machined kits etc. A lot of work with a price not much lower than a finished engine. I'd think there would have to be a choice of trying to hit a price point with something like a 0-4-0 or 0-6-0 or making something a bit more upmarket like a PRR 4-6-0 or the h10. Would need a decent committed order quantity to make sense.
Pwallace

Post by Pwallace »

I like her series because it’s about building in general with examples for the 0-4-0. I could see her successfully modifying her build to look more like the 0-6-0 below. I look forward to seeing her next build in two years.
Attachments
FDCE3AB0-DA55-42AE-BA8F-64F4F0D36A22.jpeg