Standard Modern or Sout Bend 10?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Bill Shields

Re: Standard Modern or Sout Bend 10?

Post by Bill Shields »

I love my SB Heavy 10 and my 16" and my 9A...but

at the same price, I would go with the SM because of the gear drive..

and keep the Heavy 10 for other stuff.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I own 3 SB's. I wish I had a Modern. Just a step up all around.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
oldbrock

Post by oldbrock »

The South Bend has a plain taper attachment whereas the Standard Modern has a superior telescopic attachment and is a gear head machine and the South bend is belt driven. Standard Modern is a more modern design. Same price, go for the Standard Modern. I have used them and they are great. All SMs have hardened beds, the factory is still building them so parts are available. We had metric machines, don't know ir they come in imperial, I would prefer the inch one. Love the chuck mounting system over the threaded on type. SM is worth far more than the SB so if the same price the choice is obvious.
Difficult done right away, impossible takes time.
RThomp

Post by RThomp »

Recently saw a SM 13 40 running and in good condition sell for like $1800 which seemed like a steal.