Where to get material for a display track for 3.5" gauge

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

NP317

Re: Where to get material for a display track for 3.5" gauge

Post by NP317 »

Pontiacguy1 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:30 am It looks really nice. I would like to see an up-close shot of your track work just to get an idea of how the tie plates and spikes all look when laid down.
Agreed.
RussN
apm

Post by apm »

NP317 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:16 am
Pontiacguy1 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:30 am It looks really nice. I would like to see an up-close shot of your track work just to get an idea of how the tie plates and spikes all look when laid down.
Agreed.
RussN
Sure see photos below, the rail and tie plates were all painted with red spray primer. If I did it all over I would likely have done the spikes too. Those were set into pine wood ties cut on the table saw and stained in black die mixed with rubbing alcohol. The nice thing about pine was you could actually push the spikes in by hand with a good set of pliers.

The one thing I am wondering if they make as microengineering's website is so bad is siding track ends. Anyone know what they're called so I can search for them? The little 1/4 circle things that bolt to the track? I am thinking of putting them on both sides actually. I have 2 girls one 5 yrs and the other 3 and as you can see in the photos I am not the only one whose been enjoying the locomotive! It would be nice to not worry about the locomotive rolling off the end of the track.

Btw my camera on the phone stinks the photos really aren't doing it much justice as it looks a lot better in person!

Other funny thing for wood I went to the local woodworker's store instead of Home Depot, it was hard to believe but African Mahogany was actually the lowest cost wood they had cheaper than oak and much better looking in my mind!
Attachments
20221018_175827_copy_774x1032.jpg
20221018_175805_copy_774x1032.jpg
Last edited by apm on Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
apm

Post by apm »

Last photo showing I am not the only one enjoying the new addition
Attachments
20221017_175151_copy_1238x1651.jpg
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Very nice! I may have to make myself a 2 1/2" gauge display track using those same materials. It really does look good.
apm

Post by apm »

Pontiacguy1 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:30 am Very nice! I may have to make myself a 2 1/2" gauge display track using those same materials. It really does look good.
Funny thing is many of us in the hobby got our start at one point or another in the smaller scales (HO/O etc...) this project between making and staining the ties, ballasting the track was all a throwback to those early days in HO scale just bigger!

I am surprised that more people haven't built a similar display track such as this? Our locomotives represent some of the finest mechanical art work one can own and it's surprising how many of them remain hidden but for a few days a year.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Anyone know what they're called so I can search for them? The little 1/4 circle things that bolt to the track? I am thinking of putting them on both sides actually.
They're called wheel stops or car stops.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Did you ever find a set of wheel stops?
Here are some that bolt onto your track and work with code 332 rail:
https://www.onlytrains.com/model/trains/SJ40502.html
apm

Post by apm »

Pontiacguy1 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:12 pm Did you ever find a set of wheel stops?
Here are some that bolt onto your track and work with code 332 rail:
https://www.onlytrains.com/model/trains/SJ40502.html
No it's funny my wife was just reminding me I should get a set but I still haven't gotten them. With 2 little kids at home it's not too uncommon to see Barbie or Elmo take a trip to the "railroad museum" for a ride on a steam locomotive. So probably a good idea to have something there to protect the engine from rolling off. The big train show is coming up this month in Springfield so I may just wait till then to see what they have. The track looks so prototypical that I am not sure if I would want to go with a set like the ones posted with socket head cap screws. But I guess hardware change wouldn't be that hard.

So am I the only one who's built one of these displays? I can't say how much I enjoy looking at the locomotive and is always a conversation piece with guests.
Last edited by rmac on Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed Quoting Problem
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

I'm not convinced by the red paint, perhaps the camera and re-posting are doing that, but the African mahogany is a great touch and looks perfect.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
apm

Post by apm »

gwrdriver wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:50 pm I'm not convinced by the red paint, perhaps the camera and re-posting are doing that, but the African mahogany is a great touch and looks perfect.
Which red paint? The old camera ok my phone wasn't the greatest here's a better picture with a new phone. It still doesn't do justice as it looks better in person. I have always marveled at people who can get photos that look better than seeing something in person.

PXL_20230114_233159293.jpg
Last edited by rmac on Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed Quoting Problem
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

You could get away with only one pair of those clamp-on stops, and put them on the rail that is farthest away from you. All you need is something to keep it from being accidentally pushed off the track. You shouldn't have to have them on both rails for this.