1911 Project

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

GlennW

Re: 1911 Project

Post by GlennW »

The barrel was fit by grinding the barrel hood and lower lugs.
DSC04578.JPG
DSC04579.JPG
The firing pin stop was re-ground to fit quite snugly and the slide stop needed a bit of milling as well, but forgot to get an image of that.

As of today, the barrel fitting is done, the slide is fit to the frame, the extractor and firing pin stop are fit, and the trigger has been fit but not yet installed. Starting to take shape!
thumbnail (4).jpg
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

The finished extractor fit.
Attachments
36989B08-838A-4A29-B788-10CDC95D0165.jpeg
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Back to pistol #1. It has about 3K rounds through it and is awesome, so it's time to have it finished with black IonBond now that I can shoot pistol #2 to get some rounds through it.

Stripped everything down and bead blasted to rounded areas on the frame and then set it up on the surface grinder and ground the flat sides with the magazine catch in place so it blends nicely with the side of the frame.

The slide will get the same treatment and then it's off to be processed and just hope that they don't scratch or mar it handling it...

It looks a bit hazy due to the coolant film/mist on itm but it's actually quite nice. I am purposely not wiping it off in fear of marking it. It will be sprayed with preservative and wrapped in VCI paper without being touched.
DSC04582.JPG
DSC04581.JPG
DSC04583.JPG
Glenn

GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Ground the slide tonight and now ready to ship.
Attachments
1911_rotated.jpg
Last edited by rmac on Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Photo Orientation
Glenn

RSG

Post by RSG »

Nice work Glenn!

All you need now is a nice fiber laser to add embellishments!
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Back from the Ionbond finishing process. This stuff is nice! It has some lubricity to it and is extremely hard.

I probably should have tossed the grip panels in the ultrasonic for a little clean up...

RSG, you might look in to this stuff, although it isn't inexpensive.
Attachments
6A54D010-C1F5-4CF0-9A6A-C0BD83E976B2.jpg
6A54D010-C1F5-4CF0-9A6A-C0BD83E976B2.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 4289 times
Last edited by rmac on Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Photo Orientation
Glenn

Patio

Post by Patio »

That is gorgeous! Nice work.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Been working on the second one for a while. Just working on finishing up the scope mount.

This one has the scope mounted to the frame so it has less reciprocating mass and the scope is closer to the barrel.

Glenn

David2011

Post by David2011 »

Glenn, I got way behind on keeping up with this build. It looks fantastic! In a post in October 2021 you discussed having to move the ejector cut to accommodate the incorrect position. It’s been a long time since I dealt with that but it seems like that was not a mistake. There was a significant demand for interchangeable top bends to work on a single frame. A big part of the solution was to use the .39 Super/9mm ejector position. The .45ACP, 10mm and .40S&W eject just fine with the ejector in the inner position but the outer position won’t eject 9mm/.38 in all of its varieties.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

David2011 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:50 pm In a post in October 2021 you discussed having to move the ejector cut to accommodate the incorrect position. It’s been a long time since I dealt with that but it seems like that was not a mistake.
Thank you for the complement!

The interesting part there is that I have two Caspian .45 slides. One was cut to properly fit over the .45 ejector and the other was not. It also appears that the difference in ejectors for different calibers is a horizontal move inward, not a height difference.

I put a few rounds through it this weekend and it's pretty nice.

I sighted it in roughly at my shop using a bore laser, and this was the first five rounds at 25 yards before final sight adjustments.

A nickel just about covers the hole.

It should be pretty good at 50 yards when I get a chance to check that. The biggest issue shooting at 50 is my aging eyes!
Glenn

David2011

Post by David2011 »

I tried to come up with a witty remark but all I can say is, “That’s an impressive first group.”

That is correct; the smaller bore ejector is closer to the centerline compared to the .45 ejector. I knew someone that built quite a few all-caliber 1911 lowers. If the ejector is only set lower in the outboard position it would cause the empty cartridges to eject in the wrong direction (too high and back at the shooter most likely) or to get jammed during ejection.

I spent a huge amount of time making a 1911 run flawlessly launching a 200 gr cast semi-wadcutter at only 645 fps. It taught me a ton about the ejector and extractor. It’s a hoot to shoot. Recoil is about like a BB gun.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I had it running at 540fps with some other loads. These, I'm pretty sure, are still under 600 and eject perfectly horizontal. I need to chrono them just to see.

I had a faster twist barrel made to better stabilize the 180 grain semi wadcutters that I shoot at lower velocities.

I have a friend working on an even faster twist barrel.

Getting them to run on light loads isn't that difficult, it was maintaining any accuracy that suffered.

I run my slide mount optic pistol at around 700 fps, with a 180 LSWC but it has a standard 1:16 twist barrel. It needs a heavier load anyway to cycle properly due to the increased reciprocating weight.
Glenn