noise

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Steam Engine Dan

noise

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

hi everyone, i came across this and thought it was too good not to share with you all. for those of you who crave great sounding stack talk, this is definitely for you. enjoy the ride as we ride thru the mountains :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RL8HqJD0q4

Dan
NP317

Re: noise

Post by NP317 »

That was an interesting lesson in operating a small Northern on varying "real world" railroad grades and conditions. Think: A large manually carbureted machine!
The skills of the engine crew were on display.
RussN
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

NP317 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:52 am ...
manually carbureted

:lol:
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Carbureted. .as in not using fuel injectors.

As in "operating a steamer is as much of an art as science"
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Bill Shields wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:39 pm Carbureted. .as in not using fuel injectors.

An art for sure. I'm reminded of a story the late Cal Tinkham told me. He had been a fireman on the SP running cab forwards out of Reno. One time he was assigned to an engineer he hadn't worked with before, and this guy had a reputation for being hard to get along with. Cal joined him in the cab and the guy didn't say a word to Cal. They left on the run and as they went along Cal noticed that no matter what he did the engine was losing steam. He looked over and saw that the engineer had put the Johnson bar back in the corner. The engineer turned to Cal and said, "We're losing steam. What are you going to do?" Cal said, "If you don't hook up I'll kill the fire. And then what are you going to do?" The engineer laughed, hooked it up, and after that they were OK with each other.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Steam Engine Dan

NP317 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:52 am That was an interesting lesson in operating a small Northern on varying "real world" railroad grades and conditions. Think: A large manually carbureted machine!
The skills of the engine crew were on display.
RussN
glad you liked it russ, i can honestly say i am privileged to now live only an hour from the R&N. my father and i rode behind 2102 twice last year and absolutely loved it and already we are excited for more trips this year. the stack talk from that beast is just super awesome. :D :D
Steam Engine Dan

Greg_Lewis wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:07 pm
Bill Shields wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:39 pm Carbureted. .as in not using fuel injectors.

An art for sure. I'm reminded of a story the late Cal Tinkham told me. He had been a fireman on the SP running cab forwards out of Reno. One time he was assigned to an engineer he hadn't worked with before, and this guy had a reputation for being hard to get along with. Cal joined him in the cab and the guy didn't say a word to Cal. They left on the run and as they went along Cal noticed that no matter what he did the engine was losing steam. He looked over and saw that the engineer had put the Johnson bar back in the corner. The engineer turned to Cal and said, "We're losing steam. What are you going to do?" Cal said, "If you don't hook up I'll kill the fire. And then what are you going to do?" The engineer laughed, hooked it up, and after that they were OK with each other.

thats a great story greg. the ending made me laugh. :D
Andy R

not "noise" but music

Post by Andy R »

Dan,
Thanks for posting this.
I watched the whole thing and wished that it had been longer. What a treat. It was like listening to a symphony.
I wonder if the same trip filmed by the GoPro mounted on the starboard handrail has been posted?
Regards,
Andy
Steam Engine Dan

Re: not "noise" but music

Andy R wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:13 pm Dan,
Thanks for posting this.
I watched the whole thing and wished that it had been longer. What a treat. It was like listening to a symphony.
I wonder if the same trip filmed by the GoPro mounted on the starboard handrail has been posted?
Regards,
Andy
glad you enjoyed it andy, im not sure about the camera footage on the handrail. if i see it, i'll share it here for you. one youtube railfan told me he was still in the middle of making 3 dvd videos on the whole 2022 steam season of 2102. and that im still waiting to hear about cuz i would love to have that for my video collection. but glad you liked it. keep on steaming :D
Steam Engine Dan

Re: not "noise" but music

Andy R wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:13 pm Dan,
Thanks for posting this.
Regards,
Andy
andy fresh off the press. http://www.steamtrainvideos.com/order13.html#2102vol1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQZZ_yVi1MM

i just ordered mine today. :D