St. Louis train museum

In this forum, users are encouraged to share great places to see in their area. Please be sure to list Name of the venue, City & State, Operating hours, a review and a web link if possible. The intent is so that those planning a trip or visiting your area might be interested in visiting! Pictures of the venue are also welcome.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Re: St. Louis train museum

Post by Mr Ron »

Mike Walsh wrote:As others have said, not much to worry about visiting the museum. Like every major city, there are some areas where trouble finds you, but the location of the Museum of Transportation is not one of those areas in St. Louis.

If you go in May, you could also plan your trip on a weekend to take advantage of rides at the Wabash Frisco and Pacific Railroad, a 12" gauge railroad approximately 20-25 minutes west of the Museum. It's about a 1, 1-1/2 mile trip into the woods behind IC or Steam locomotives. I've been a member since 2001 and it is a nice operation. The WF&P operates on Sundays, so you could do a two-day visit to St. Louis, hitting up the Museum on Saturday and going for a train ride on Sunday. If you strike up conversation with some of the members, they might give you a brief tour if you can do it. I've given a few tours in the past. When your train ride is over, you can begin your drive back home.

I think you will enjoy your trip!
Thank you for your update. May sounds like a good time to go. Can't wait much longer.
Last edited by rmac on Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed the quote
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi