Need DRO for lathe

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

NP317

Re: Need DRO for lathe

Post by NP317 »

Bill Shields wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:33 pm +1 on the magnetic scales, which I also had to cut.
[snip]
...losing scale width becomes really annoying.
Huh? I don't understand the width reference.
RussN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Guess maybe thickness?

Look at a glass scale and the sheet metal that protects it. Maybe 5/8 to 3/4" thick or more.

Look at a magnetic scales. The ones I used are maybe 1/4" thick.

Since the scale mounts on the side of the cross slide in the area where the tailstock would contact the carriage...that distance is important.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Thanks for the clarification.
I understand, as my lathe DRO has glass scales, and my mill have magnetic scales.
RussN
K. Browers

Post by K. Browers »

Hello,
Sorry about the link. I bought the Sino brand they have sets that include the two scales and the reader head. I just took this from Aliexpress it takes you directly to their main store page. I hope it works or just search Aliexpress then on there search Shenzhen Siton Technology Co.
They have been in business for years already and seem to be the manufacturer. The scales are enclosed in an aluminum extrusion that is very sturdy. I was able to shorten one of mine to fit. I am sure an inquiry on their page will get prompt response.Yes I agree with Bill the price is amazing. The air cargo shipping to the Philippines is about 65$. You might ask if they might have a reader only that will work with the scales you already have that would be a very simple plug and play. Still no affiliation just a happy customer
Cheers
Karel

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/102117 ... 8b7a6kugQa