"Free Flow" boiler check valves from EE

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

AnthonyDuarte

"Free Flow" boiler check valves from EE

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

I can't in good conscience continue to ignore the lack of availability for quality check valves in our hobby, so I will be producing the horizontal EE "Free Flow" Check Valves as quickly as I can in 3/16", 1/4" and 5/16" MTP sizes.

These have larger internal passages than other available valves to guarantee sufficient flow for injectors with the corresponding tubing size. The custom machined Teflon seat and enclosing cap ensure the ball will not interfere with flow, and won't miss the seat when it shuts. The Teflon seat and stainless ball should last for a lifetime of service, but if for some reason they are damaged or fail, they can be easily replaced.

These aren't scale models of full size check valves, but they are designed to be bullet proof and free flowing.

Pricing is TBD, and I am pushing to have these available before the end of the year. There will be no pre-orders nor a "list." When they become available they will be offered first-come first-served through the EE website.

Anthony
3125 Check Valve Cross Section 1.jpg
3125 Check Valve Cross Section 2.jpg
Soot n' Cinders

Re: "Free Flow" boiler check valves from EE

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

Looks good Anthony! Have you thought about some free flow globe valves as well? I currently have PM Research check valves with their globe valves for emergency shutoffs. Since they use the same seat I’m not sure how much difference your checks would make since the globe valve orifice would still be restricting flow theoretically.
But for what it’s worth I’ve never had any issues with that set up. And even in the lifting position your injectors work flawlessly every time
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

If I may make a suggestion here. Please install a few prototypes of the teflon seat check valves on a locomotive and give them a good trial run with differing feed water and contamination of the water.

Having had some experience on a full sized steam boat with teflon seat boiler feed check valve, I found them to be problematic, to my great surprise!

What happened was that particulate in the feed water, which was taken directly from the lake, would embed itself in the teflon seat, causing the valve to leak profusely.

At the least a very good feed water filter ought to be installed upstream from the check valve.
Santafescotty60

Post by Santafescotty60 »

hey Anthony, do you have any 5/16 check valves looking for a few if they are available
Scotty Lewis 619 208 9187
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Wolfgang wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:35 pm If I may make a suggestion here. Please install a few prototypes of the teflon seat check valves on a locomotive and give them a good trial run with differing feed water and contamination of the water.

Having had some experience on a full sized steam boat with teflon seat boiler feed check valve, I found them to be problematic, to my great surprise!

What happened was that particulate in the feed water, which was taken directly from the lake, would embed itself in the teflon seat, causing the valve to leak profusely.

At the least a very good feed water filter ought to be installed upstream from the check valve.
is a very common problem with 'soft seat' valves....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

Update on this project.

It's... expanded. To say the least.

Check valves and globe valves in 5/16", 1/4", 3/16", 5/32" and 1/8" MTP. 5/32" and 1/8" share the same body.

With the project's larger scope it will take a bit longer to get this underway, but I feel its something the hobby needs.

I've ditched the soft seats in order to make the bodies for the check and globe valves identical. I'm planning on experimenting with Teflon and Torlon for the check valve poppets. Torlon is pricey but looking at its properties I'm really excited to give it a try. I'm not using a ball due to the available sizes in combination with the hole size I'm trying to achieve internally. It just wasn't working out across all sizes to use off the shelf balls.

The globe valves have a feature that I think is new, not totally sure. The needle taper and valve seat are two separate features, so the seal is not relying on jamming a taper into a seat. This should help prevent hot valves from getting stuck after cooling down, and the valve's sealing geometry is effectively a ball, so it should have no problem finding its seat.

All Check and Globe Valves.JPG
Seats.JPG
Anthony Duarte
http://www.EccentricEngineer.com
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

:D
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

AnthonyDuarte wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:40 pm Update on this project.

It's... expanded. To say the least.

Check valves and globe valves in 5/16", 1/4", 3/16", 5/32" and 1/8" MTP. 5/32" and 1/8" share the same body.

With the project's larger scope it will take a bit longer to get this underway, but I feel its something the hobby needs.

I've ditched the soft seats in order to make the bodies for the check and globe valves identical. I'm planning on experimenting with Teflon and Torlon for the check valve poppets. Torlon is pricey but looking at its properties I'm really excited to give it a try. I'm not using a ball due to the available sizes in combination with the hole size I'm trying to achieve internally. It just wasn't working out across all sizes to use off the shelf balls.

The globe valves have a feature that I think is new, not totally sure. The needle taper and valve seat are two separate features, so the seal is not relying on jamming a taper into a seat. This should help prevent hot valves from getting stuck after cooling down, and the valve's sealing geometry is effectively a ball, so it should have no problem finding its seat.

All Check and Globe Valves.JPG

Seats.JPG
the successful poppet checks in service on my equipment all have flat seats. it will be interesting to see how this tapered approach will work. concerns for the reasons you already stated
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
SG3950

Post by SG3950 »

Andy,

Here are some links to cross sections of valves I use in industry everyday. The smallest is maybe 3/4" so scaling it down might not work. But every one of these designs has a guided piston like yours.

Hope it helps:
(scroll down)

https://www.frostpoint.net/valves/check ... hck1/01fpt

https://www.frostpoint.net/valves/check ... e-148b5437

https://www.frostpoint.net/industrial-r ... k165k21npn

https://www.frostpoint.net/valves/check ... sck125cact
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

A "future product" page has been added for check and globe valves!
https://www.eccentricengineer.com/globe-check-valves

If you are interested in these it would be greatly appreciated if you could take the time to fill out the form at the bottom of the linked page! This will be a monumental project with lots of variants, so it would be very helpful to me to get a grasp of how many of each variant to make. I will of course make multiples more than what the survey results show, but I'd like to get a sense of the ratios based on demand.

I have started making the tooling for these, so shooting waxes for the investment castings is around the corner.
Anthony Duarte
http://www.EccentricEngineer.com