Arizona Gandy Dancers

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
Glenn Brooks

Re: Arizona Gandy Dancers

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Bill Shields wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:26 pm I just visited an anthracite mine in scranton pa that appears to have some laying around that they have little use for these days...or is the northeast USA too far?
Bill,

just sent you a PM.

Thanks,
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Lackawanna coal mine, Taylor pa
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Fiddleshay

Post by Fiddleshay »

Thank you gentlemen. I do check DLS frequently. Even if we can get rail "free" transportation costs are huge. We are a non-profit organization trying to build a 15" gauge railroad and costs are a major factor. A road trip from Az to Pa is about 5,000 miles rt. So fuel & hotels would run about 3- $4,000.00. We can haul about 10,000 lbs, or about 2,500 lf. which work out to about $1.60/ft. which is doable for us.

Bill, do you have any contact for for the anthracite mine in scranton pa.?

Regards,
Gary
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Bill and Gary,

Just chased this down. The site is now part of the Lackawanna mcDade county park and Hertige mining center - a preserved historic tourist attraction with underground mining tours. Looks like the rail may be part of their surface display or mining museum. Maybe worth a phone call to see if the rail is surplus, but at first glance, not likely they would part with it, due to their high interest in historical preservation.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Hmmm...try steam town..
Too many things going on to bother listing them.