Casting a straight edge

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

Harold_V

Casting a straight edge

Post by Harold_V »

Talk about taking the long way around things!
Some time ago I purchased a B&S 6" x 18" surface grinder off eBay. The machine was equipped with a radius dresser and rapid traverse for the wheel head, which, on a surface grinder, is a very welcome feature, as the feed on the head is exceedingly fine (for high precision). The price was right, including shipping from the east coast. However, the grinder had issues that I didn't expect.

It had been taken out of service and was sold by a machine tool dealer in Pennsylvania. Fortunately for me, they hadn't removed any of the maintenance documents from the machine that had been kept in the electrical cabinet, so I contacted the original owners who were more than cooperative, sending me the missing manual and the custom wrenches that are a part of the operation of the machine. In addition, they included a couple dozen wheel hubs, which didn't fit the B&S but are a fit for my #2 Cincinnati cutter grinder. These folks were exceedingly generous, not only with their time, but they wouldn't accept payment for shipping. A win/win situation in pretty much every way.

Down to the problem.

When I tried operating the machine, the wheel head tilted as it advanced. That was mystifying until I dismantled the machine and discovered that the hydraulic cylinder had been attached improperly. Remedy? Simply realign the attachment point, which is made adjustable for obvious reasons.

One of the things that was not obvious (because I couldn't do any grinding) was that the ways for the table are not parallel. They're out by .005" over 32", which renders the machine relatively valueless as is. I can't help but think that the machine was worked on by someone who had no knowledge, or it was sabotaged so a new machine could be provided. My intention is to make the correction by scraping the flat, although I hope to touch up the V as well, depending on what I discover once I have a straight edge at my disposal.

The general condition of the machine is acceptable, so I deem it worthy of spending my time trying to get it operational, and in keeping with my work ethic, I tend to do everything myself. It's a way of me expressing my ability on the machines, and it's a great way to keep me active (I'm now 83). I had intended to build a model steam locomotive, but the time spent building our house and shop was far greater than I had anticipated, so I don't see that happening. Doesn't mean I won't eventually try, but more so for the experience of making castings that are not, nor have they ever been, available. What better way for an old guy to spend his time in the shop, which has proven to be a good reason to get out of bed each morning.

I have made a pattern for casting a straight edge that will suit my requirements for the flats of the grinder. Fact is, I should be able to use it for the V way as well.

I have almost no experience with casting. What little I've done has been plagued with issues that I must overcome. I understand the need for risers, often referenced as feeders, to prevent shrinkage. That is my quandary. Gray iron of a given chemistry is known to cast without shrinkage, but I don't have the capability of analysing my heats, and the brake rotors I use for feed stock appear to create shrink areas if not properly risered.

Anyone here have any thoughts on how this should be gated and risered? I welcome any input, especially from someone who has some practical experience in pouring iron.

The pattern will be mounted on a board, along with the runner gates.

H
Attachments
Straightedge1.JPG
Straightedge2.JPG
Straightedge3.JPG
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Andy R

Re: Casting a straight edge

Post by Andy R »

Harold,

You wrote:
"I had intended to build a model steam locomotive..."

Why not start?
You will enjoy it. And who knows? You might finish it too.

Sorry about not being helpful about the gating question ... Hopefully somebody knows.
Regards,
Andy
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Andy R wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:06 pm Why not start?
I plan to, Andy, but before I can, I want my shop to be fully operational, and that's what I'm spending my time on right now.

Years ago I decided I'd build a model of UP's 833 in 1.6" scale, the prototype having been on display in Pioneer Park in Salt Lake City. I like large engines and that one was readily available. Now, of course, it is no longer on display in Pioneer Park, nor am I a resident of Utah, so that doesn't really matter, but I'm still fixated on that engine, especially the boxpok wheels, which have never been faithfully modeled. I can see how they can be, so if I get the shop finished and still have the ambition, my first project will be patterns for the boxpok wheels. I see them as a huge challenge, one I'd enjoy conquering.

Thanks for your comments, Andy.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
K. Browers

Post by K. Browers »

Hello friends
This night come in handy. casting the way the hobbyist does it is old school really old school so here is an old book.. :D

https://archive.org/details/generalfoun ... ?q=foundry

cheers Karel
rmac

Post by rmac »

Unfortunately, no help from here regarding the casting process, but I do have a general question. Once a blank is cast and cleaned up, how do you make sure it is really straight?

I've heard of a procedure whereby three blanks are lapped against each other in a particular sequence that renders them all perfectly straight after some time. Is that what you're planning? Or do you have somebody grind them straight somehow? Or ... ???

-- Russell Mac
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Watch Vintage Machine (Keith Rucker) on You Tube on making straight edges straight.

Jim B
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

rmac wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:56 am Unfortunately, no help from here regarding the casting process, but I do have a general question. Once a blank is cast and cleaned up, how do you make sure it is really straight?
Once cast, stress relieved and machined, the flat is hand scraped, using a large surface plate as a reference (flat) surface. High quality surface plates are generally flat within .000050".

Hand scraping is the process that has been traditionally used when ultra flat surfaces are required.

H
rmac

Post by rmac »

Harold_V wrote: Once cast, stress relieved and machined, the flat is hand scraped, using a large surface plate as a reference (flat) surface.
Aha! Got it. Thanks.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Denis foster, up in Bellingham, wa sells straight edge, cast iron castings. He pours and sells the castings with his own patterns and foundry. Does an excellent job. Very talented guy. Iam sure you could call him and talk about what you want to do. He has all the techniques for pouring and aging cast iron down pat…

You could likely cut years off your project by buying one of his castings and start right into the machine work and scraping process.

Here is his email: denisgfoster at gmail dot com

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:36 pm Denis foster, up in Bellingham, wa sells straight edge, cast iron castings.
Thanks, Glenn. I'm acquainted with Denis. We've exchanged thoughts on several occasions. I would prefer to not ask of him in this instance, as what I'm trying to accomplish could easily appear to him that I hope to compete with his venture, which isn't the case. What I do hope to do is learn what it takes to create good castings when conditions aren't exactly desirable. That's true of most any casting where one has cross sections that vary considerably, as they do with a straightedge. How the metal freezes in the mold is all important. I have numerous books pertaining to the subject and I understand the significance. What I do not have at this juncture is any experience from which I can draw conclusions. That I will acquire by doing.
You could likely cut years off your project by buying one of his castings and start right into the machine work and scraping process.
While true, that's not my objective. I will never acquire the required skills that I seek by ignoring the processes necessary to achieve the degree of success I seek. That's not to say that you aren't correct for those who seek the destination instead of the journey.

I rarely rely on the endeavors of others to satisfy my needs. I would not "grow" by doing so.

H
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

It's been quite some time since I reported on the straightedge project. That's primarily due to my having to rethink some of my procedures and make the necessary changes. One of them was to abandon the use of the optical pyrometer, which is not at all suited to measuring the temperature of molten metals, something I didn't understand when it was purchased many years ago.

With the new pyrometer in my hands, a waited for cooler weather. It gets uncomfortably hot in the shop when I preheat the ladle, and I was not in a hurry.

I had made changes to the preheat procedure and had increased the speed of pouring the molten iron from the furnace to the ladle. The weather had cooled so I was ready to give a casting a go once again, having failed miserably last spring with the first attempt (tried to pour too cold from all indications).

I started the process by mulling 250 pounds of greensand. With that done, I prepared the mold.

DSC00008.JPG
DSC00008.JPG (229.75 KiB) Viewed 10903 times
DSC00009.JPG
DSC00009.JPG (189.01 KiB) Viewed 10903 times

The following day I spent time trying to organize things so there would be no wasted motion. Time is of the essence once the metal had been discharged from the furnace so any time spent that isn't direcly related to pouring is a deal breaker.

With things as organized as possible, the next day I fired up the induction furnace. The time spent the previous day organizing seemed to help, and the kilovar meter that I had to repair last spring seems to work properly.

It took a little over an hour to melt the charge (about 70 pounds of gray iron scrap---rotors from automobile brakes). With the temperature at an acceptable level, I poured the straightedge.

DSC00010.JPG
DSC00010.JPG (182.96 KiB) Viewed 10903 times

I was rewarded with success well beyond my expectations. Indications are I have a straightedge without flaws. Time will tell, as I have yet to remove the sprue, runner and risers. They will be removed by sawing, which will be a great indicator of the machinability of the iron. It should be quite good as the test performed before pouring indicated a chill thickness of less than 3/16". There are no sections that are that thin.

DSC00012.JPG
DSC00012.JPG (239.79 KiB) Viewed 10903 times
DSC00014.JPG
DSC00014.JPG (241.26 KiB) Viewed 10903 times

I learned a great deal about the casting process with this pour. I have been struggling with pouring temperatures that were too cold, so any success I had achieved previously was more by chance than design. Another thing I learned is that I can vent blind risers without the use of sand cores, which are the white things you see in some of the risers in the picture above. I had made sand cores to provide a pathway to the surface, so they could breathe, but I also simply probed a couple 1/16" diameter holes in a couple of them in the hopes that they would breathe enough to allow filling completely. I wasn't disappointed, and the process of inserting the cores was somewhat troublesome. Any future castings will be poured accordingly.

Thanks for looking.

H