Honing / reaming aluminum

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Honing / reaming aluminum

Post by SteveM »

I have a set of car rims that I picked up used. They didn't come with the lug nuts.

Got the lug nuts from the manufacturer.

They are a very tight fit, maybe a couple of thou difference. It might be a mis-fit, but possibly also corrosion (I can't say for sure right now, as the wheels are in storage - they are snow tires, and I'll need to put them on in a few weeks).

The lug nuts are 0.6175".

An adjustable reamer is probably overkill, going to cut oversize, and will be hard to like up properly, so I figure some kind of honing would be all that's needed.

Note that the wheels don't use the bore to locate the wheels - there's a taper on the seat that matches a taper on the lugs.

I thought of using a brake cylinder hone, but I figure that the stones would just get clogged with the aluminum. The holes with the balls on them could work too, but might also get clogged.
NWMDC[1].jpg
NWMDC[1].jpg (7.59 KiB) Viewed 1654 times
d997aaf8-025d-4030-b193-cb106514a0fb_1.2d21206248f5fbf5f834e60fefb35998.jpeg

The old split-dowell-with-a-strip-of-sandpaper trick might do is, as I can replace it as needed once it gets clogged.

Any suggestions?

Steve
GlennW

Re: Honing / reaming aluminum

Post by GlennW »

Try a cartridge roll with a die grinder and just run around in the bore gently.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

I use a tool like this to remove rust/corrosion on the hub mounting surface, back side of rim and the center of rim. Basically any metal to metal surface. Frequently a small stiff wire brush is necessary to clean between the stud and center where this tool will not reach.
https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-24686-B ... 3264&psc=1
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

curtis cutter wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:36 am I use a tool like this to remove rust/corrosion on the hub mounting surface, back side of rim and the center of rim. Basically any metal to metal surface. Frequently a small stiff wire brush is necessary to clean between the stud and center where this tool will not reach.
https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-24686-B ... 3264&psc=1
That's a pretty nifty tool!

Steve
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

why not use a tri-corner scraper and clean the holes out by hand?

or is his too 'old school' ??
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Bill Shields wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:59 am why not use a tri-corner scraper and clean the holes out by hand?

or is his too 'old school' ??
Had not thought of that and I inherited several of them from my dad, so definitely an option.

Steve
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

have fit many a bronze sleeve bearing with that technique....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Stopped in the auto parts store today and found this engine brush kit:
Brush Kit.png
Has stainless, brass and plastic brushes in multiple sizes, plus a handle and extension.

The brushes have hex shanks on them so you can use them with a drill.

I'll use these first to clean out the hole and then use the scraper to do any final fitting.

Steve