Flux Core Requiring High Feed Speed

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

mcman56

Re: Flux Core Requiring High Feed Speed

Post by mcman56 »

choprboy wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 4:51 pm I was saying, if you have the 10A gun, Miller considers it obsolete and doesn't list parts for it any longer. The replacement for the entire MIG gun would be the M-100 or MDX-100 now. The 10A uses a different liner than the M-10.

Looking again, several third parties do actually list as having the 10A liners it in stock... though places like WeldFabulous show it as having a 2 week ship time which usually means they are drop shipping it from Miller and it probably won't actually ship. I found Flint Welding Supply who says they have 1 in stock, so there might be some actually out there still.
I'm finally getting back to this. The drive wheel on my welder is a metal ring on the outside of a plastic hub. Is the plastic needed for insulation? Is your replacement solid steel? (I guess that the roller on top is steel also.) I can see that the wire does jump out on one side showing wear on the ring. The grove is misaligned with the wire by about .025" so that may be part of the problem. It is the wrong direction to shim so I would have to try to cut the bottom of the hub, move the ring on the plastic or make a new one. My wheel is held on by a small screw on the end of the drive shaft and the internal drive shaft has 2 flats that engage the plastic part of the wheel.

To add confusion, I'm seeing references to rollers for flux core vs solid wire.
https://store.cyberweld.com/midrro0flcow.html
Weld Wheel.JPG
mcman56

Post by mcman56 »

I saw nothing wrong with the old feed roller but decided to try a new one. Even if it the problem remained, I could use the plastic core to make a slightly larger one. It looks the same and dimensions are the same but it solved all of my wire feed issues. I do not understand why. Maybe the old one got polished over time or maybe copper got "wiped" on to it???
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Sometimes the solution is surprisingly simple, even if not immediately obvious.