DRO on a Grizzly G0759 question

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

VelocityDuck

DRO on a Grizzly G0759 question

Post by VelocityDuck »

The machine that I've been using also has a 3 axis DRO with the Z axis being tied to the quill position. There is no indication for the gross vertical position (raising or lowering the head).

The (new to me) G0759 has a 3 axis DRO. But the Z axis is on the gross head position adjustment. Basically what I would call the equivalent of the knee on a knee mill.

The quill has a separate Z axis DRO. Small, LCD, hard to read unless you're directly in front of it.

The crank has no fine movement. So I do not know when a DRO with that level of accuracy would be used for that function. Can someone enlighten me?
Bill Shields

Re: DRO on a Grizzly G0759 question

Post by Bill Shields »

Use it all the time.

Put the tool to the top of the part using the quill .set your stop. Zero it

Zero knee and crank it up to desired final tool depth.

Now you know where you are -> or want to be

If you are taking multiple ZDepth cuts...the quill arm is more than close enough to pick a rough DRO position.

Hope I explained clearly.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
rrnut-2

Re: DRO on a Grizzly G0759 question

Post by rrnut-2 »

On my Grizzly, G0720R, I put the Z axis scale on the head movement. If I need precise measurement of the quill, then I use a dial indicator.

Jim B