Spur Gear Design Program

Related to all sorts of CAD and CAM tools. Users should post questions, comments, and recommendations with respect to their favorite CAD and CAM tools.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

gwrdriver

Spur Gear Design Program

Post by gwrdriver »

I need a basic spur gear generator and I've done a Google search and tried a few, but haven't found one which will generate a dxf file which will successfully dxfin to my AutoCad LT. Also the ones I've found must be used on-line and I'd rather have one which can be be loaded in my computer.
I would appreciate hearing your experiences and recommendations.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
arborist

Re: Spur Gear Design Program

Post by arborist »

I realise this thread is some months old, but as it received no replies, may I resurrect it?

A very good, free gear program is GearDXF (http://www.forestmoon.com/Software/GearDXF/). It understands both world units and freedom units. It can produce 2D dxfs and can extrude them into STL files for 3DP. No connection other than a long time user.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

In a slightly different gear direction, does anyone know of an accurate reference or program for designing cycloidal gears as used in clocks? Cycloidal gears are different in form from involute gears. My friend is back to his long-term want to build a clock and would like to find software that does this. His printed references do not agree with each other so he would like a definitive answer.
Any help would be appreciated.
TIA
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

My friend says thank you very much. He looked a lot on YouTube but didn't do a Google search.
I'll let you know if it works for his project.
Thanks again for the links.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.