Pot metal repair rod

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

NastySS

Pot metal repair rod

Post by NastySS »

Not sure this is the right section,but I was wondering if anyone had any luck with either Muggy Weld or Caswell pot metal repair rods.Ive got a band saw guard that badly needs repair.Thanks
ChipMaker4130

Re: Pot metal repair rod

Post by ChipMaker4130 »

I've tried Muggy and failed miserably. Probably my technique, or lack thereof! These days, if I can't TIG it, I don't do it.
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

I have used another brand and had some success with it. The material must melt the metal. The flame is too hot for the filler metal. I had to fill through holes that were not to be through holes. Don't ask :( . Backed up with a piece of steel and it worked.
TimTheGrim

Post by TimTheGrim »

I used to go to a flea market in Englishtown, NJ. There was a guy there hawking the aluminum “solder” rods and doing demos with a plumbers acetylene torch. HE COULD DO ANYTHING with that combo. I saw him attaching soda cans to make sculptures and repair broken, threaded carburetor bases with steel screws and some kind of clay. These were “concours” worthy fixes that he did under the summer sun with dozens of people looking on. And he had fun doing it while selling lots of product.

I have repaired my late mom’s jewelry and pot metal items. Kids toys. I Put together custom motorcycle oil coolers. Made little steel molds and used it as a casting media, amongst other things. I recommended it to someone who repaired a broken H-D side case,complete with threads,and was jumping for joy at the fix.

I have a drawer in a tool box that Always has that stuff available. Right now two different brands. HF and unknown.
I still have the pamphlet from the Englishtown guy from ‘96.

It takes practice to get your technique and lots of wooden handled stainless wire brushes, but it’s a worthwhile endeavor.
The only limits are the ones you set yourself.
Illigitimi non Carborundum
'96 Birmingham mill, Enco 13x40 GH and Craftsman 6x18 lathes, Reid 2C surface grinder. Duro Bandsaw and lots of tooling from 30+ years in the machining trades and 15+ years in refinery units. Now retired