1/6th scale steam launch

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Steamer Al

1/6th scale steam launch

Post by Steamer Al »

Well here we are two years in to a R/C steam launch project. As always these things get carried away and more complicated, part in fact due to motivation from some of the incredible workmanship I see posted on this board.

Boiler is over scale, but will be mostly hidden inside a cabin with just the backhead visible. Engine is one I designed, 5/8" bore and stroke simple twin. Its a balance between ease of manufacture with locally available hardware and metal from my scap bin versus something that looks reasonably scale. Lots of the brass will be covered or painted to help with that. Currently finishing the crossheads then on to piston rods.

Lots to do, even once the engine is done hopefully by the end of the year. Feedwater pump, feedwater heater, a very simple keel condensor, water tank, not to mention the finish wood work. I dream of steaming it around the beach next summer but realistically it will be a couple years away yet.

Enjoy!

Alex
Attachments
IMG_20220605_211751636.jpg
IMG_20220605_211817571_HDR_rotated.jpg
IMG_20220605_211711110_PORTRAIT_rotated.jpg
Last edited by rmac on Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NP317

Re: 1/6th scale steam launch

Post by NP317 »

Alex:
Very nice looking work. And steam launches (of all sizes) are close to my heart.
https://www.northweststeamsociety.org/_ ... 1f8e72.pdf

The Pacific NW/Salish Sea remains a hotbed of such activity.
Please keep sharing your progress.
RussN
Steamer Al

Post by Steamer Al »

NP317 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:50 am Alex:
Very nice looking work. And steam launches (of all sizes) are close to my heart.
https://www.northweststeamsociety.org/_ ... 1f8e72.pdf

The Pacific NW/Salish Sea remains a hotbed of such activity.
Please keep sharing your progress.
RussN
Thanks Russ! I sure like your launch. I'm curious what you do for cylinder lubrication? A bit more complicated with a condensing setup I imagine.

Cheers

Alex
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Alex:
My steam launch has an original Blackstaff-Woods steeple compound engine that only requires internal condensate for lubrication!
No oils involved which greatly simplifies condensate return and boiler water feed. Saturated steam at about 125 psi is required, so no superheating involved.
It continues to run well after more than 50 years. A credit to the designers.
RussN
Steamer Al

Post by Steamer Al »

Thanks Russ! I was considering trying the same, but with a brass bore and bronze pistons I suspect it wouldn't wear as well as all cast iron.

Alex