good neighbor

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Russ Hanscom

good neighbor

Post by Russ Hanscom »

There is a young couple down the street that are in the process of upgrading an older house for an expanding family, and we have become good friends with them. A couple of days ago, he stopped by for advice on extending an existing railing, which consists of 2" square tube posts, an 2" tube top rail, and horizontal steel cables on 3.5" centers, threaded through holes in the posts. When he previously did work on the railing, he had a machine shop drill the posts, which cost a pretty penny. He wondered if I had a better option.

We set up my big drill press, which has power feed, with a vise to establish centerline, and an indexing pin for the 3.5" spacing. Once tested, it took him under a half hour to drill 80 -1/4" dia holes,10 per post. Nothing like having the right tool for the job.

20220521_145444_rotated.jpg

Yes, I know he is wearing gloves, we discussed that.
Last edited by rmac on Sun May 22, 2022 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Photo Orientation
Steggy

Re: good neighbor

Post by Steggy »

Russ Hanscom wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:26 pmYes, I know he is wearing gloves, we discussed that.

Bare legs aren't too much fun as well when hot chips start flying.

Years ago, I knew a guy who wore moccasins all the time, even when welding. It was amusing to watch him do an Irish jig while trying to lay down a bead.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
liveaboard

Re: good neighbor

Post by liveaboard »

That's nothing.
Guy I knew in Amsterdam would weld (professionally!) while wear a skirt with nothing underneath.
Oh yeah; and barefoot too.
No, not a kilt. A ladies skirt.
He was an old guy with a big grey beard.

Yep, he'd jump around and emit audible signals of distress from time to time, but steadfastly refused to alter his choice of clothing.

The city was full of funny characters back then.

For the record, I often use the drill press in open shoes. I usually change into boots for welding though.