Suggestions for flywheel machining setup

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

charkmandler

Re: Suggestions for flywheel machining setup

Post by charkmandler »

Hi Glenn, specs say .0005" to .0012" - The general thing for a road machine is as free sliding fit without play. Vincent 500cc engine that was running well had just that fit although there were some signs of running hot at some point - perhaps running in.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Thanks.

What if you used a floating bushing?

I fit 1.350" pins with .0005 pin to bushing and .0005 bushing to rod.

Depends on how your rod ID was finished though.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
charkmandler

Post by charkmandler »

Basically don't break what's not broken. A pressed in bush with the correct fit pin will has been known to run for 100,000 miles and more in this type of engine.
rmac

Post by rmac »

If it's not too late, this video talks about a use for epoxy that's vaguely similar to what we've been talking about here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7Qs-J2swIc

-- Russell Mac
charkmandler

Post by charkmandler »

Update. Basically I could set the flywheels up with a mandrel in the little end with support as discussed above. All clocked up in line in every way with the mill spindle. With a cross piece to clamp down on the rod near the little end even tightening with fingers would set the reading off. As far as I can work out the movement is tiny but coming from the big end bearing.
I did suspect that this job would not work out but a good challenge.
End result is that I'm splitting the flywheels and doing the job properly.
Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions - the epoxy was a good idea and one to be remembered.